DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser & A1 audio setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/89055-sennheiser-a1-audio-setup.html)

Kajito Nagib March 16th, 2007 01:34 AM

Sennheiser & A1 audio setup

Hi everyone,

I'm new around here so forgive me if this question has been asked already.
Just wondering if the Sennheiser ME-66 shotgun will fit into the side of the mic holder on the Canon A1 or do I need some kind of an adapter?
Should I use a shockmount to keep the mic away from the camera?
I film mostly run & gun shots so which shockmount do you recommend for this particular setup?
I'm a little confused about the different Rode models SM3/4/5 could someone
explain what each models does?

peace smiles,

kajito

Martin Saxer March 16th, 2007 02:42 AM

I think you need to add a few layers of gaffer to use it on the camera :) At least that was the case with the XL1 and the K6. But wait for answer from somebody who has them both.

But the standard mount it's not a good place of a camera mic anyway. I use a combo of Sennheiser mounts (MZS 6 and MZQ 6, if I remember correctly). Works very well, you wouldn't believe it when you look at it. A soundman in Switzerland gave me the tip. We tested it against quite a few other shock-mounts (but not the K-Tek, which gets good reviews on this board) and it does a very nice job. Advantages: small and lightweight. When in a hurry I leave the cables plugged in, remove the mic and place it alongside the camera in my bag. Its much less bulky and square egded than other mounts. With this setup you are ready to shoot within seconds.

Disadvantages: the balance of the camera. It get's a little nose heavy. But what shock mount solution does not affect the balance?

Martin

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 16th, 2007 07:46 AM

a few layers of gaffer's tape, a rubber adapter; either works. All of the lower cost, on-cam mic holders are a bit big, I'm guessing so that they can hold virtually any mic out there.
Besides, it never hurts to have a little gaffer tape in case of an emergency. Just peel a little off the mic. ;-)

Brad Tyrrell March 16th, 2007 08:58 AM

I've been using the Rode SM-3 and like it.

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=SM3

Rode also makes the SM-5 to adapt to camcorder clamps but I think the shoe mount is simpler. The A1 Clamp is removable and it's a little cleaner to transport without it.

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=SM5

The SM-5 has 2 sizes of threads for pole & tripod mounting too, but I didn't think I'd need that.

Kajito Nagib March 16th, 2007 11:34 AM

By using the SM-5 would that free up my hot shoe?
Ok, so a few layers of gaffer or a rubber adapter got it!
Thanks for the tip:-)

Brad Tyrrell March 16th, 2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib (Post 642800)

Theoretically, - better check dimensions though. Says it's designed for Sony and Panasonic clamps. I just assumed the A-1 clamps were about the same.

I use a Rode NTG-1 and it's sorta hot. The rubber band suspension helps a lot with "touch noise"

Kajito Nagib March 16th, 2007 11:56 AM

yeah i'll check out the dimension thanks again.

Jeff Rhode March 19th, 2007 04:36 AM

Kajito,

I am pretty sure that is a 25.2 mm clamp.
If it is an extra shoe you are looking for and to keep the mic off the top check out the J-Rod accessory mount. It was designed to solve the problems you are having and works great. What is has over the SM-5 is the option to put something more than your mic on it ! See it at www.thej-rod.com It can also be removed and put on very quickly for storage in your bag.

ragards.

Kajito Nagib March 19th, 2007 10:47 AM

I'll check it out thanks!

Larry Vaughn March 20th, 2007 12:22 AM

o-rings

If you slide some o-rings over the mic that works and looks better. Also, the hot shoe on my XH-A1 seems a bit loose after using a hot shot mic mount. I think it needs a reinforcement point not on the hot shoe to help minimize stress.

Jeff Rhode March 20th, 2007 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn (Post 644682)
If you slide some o-rings over the mic that works and looks better. Also, the hot shoe on my XH-A1 seems a bit loose after using a hot shot mic mount. I think it needs a reinforcement point not on the hot shoe to help minimize stress.

That sounds like a call to Canon about a warranty issue would fix the problem. The shoe mount should be much stronger than that.

Brad Tyrrell March 20th, 2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn (Post 644682)
If you slide some o-rings over the mic that works and looks better.

Works better as a holder or isolator?

My Rode rubber band isolation mount works pretty well. It also looks like it should, - but looks don't mean much sometimes. The look is a little more delicate than I'd like.

The isolation on the built-in A-1 mic is pretty good. My guess is that it's some type of foam/rubber,- isolation with a relatively firm mount.

I really don't know which type of isolation mount works best. I'll bet there is a comparison somewhere. Rubber mounts, foam mounts, rubber band mounts. Anybody got a link?

Gareth Trezise March 20th, 2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib (Post 642800)
Ok, so a few layers of gaffer or a rubber adapter got it!
Thanks for the tip:-)

I cut off a finger from a washing up glove & put that on the SM-5. Makes a perfect fit when attached to the A1 mic holder.

I did have some explaining to do when it came to washing up though!!!

Kajito Nagib March 24th, 2007 12:15 AM

thanks everyone for your input:-)

-k