Hiss and Noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hiss and Noise

I recently purchased an AT835B Mic and a sony MD recorder. While this setup is better than my previous one, I'm still not satisfied, especially in terms of the (I think this is the right phrase) inherent self noise created by the system.

When recording from louder sources, like cars etc... I don't notice the hiss at all because the gain is turned down, but recording quieter things become more of a problem as the noise is painfully apparent.

What causes noise? Where is the problem? Is it in the microphone, in the preamp, or the cable? Can I solve this or am I just being too picky with the equiptment I have?

-Alex
Alex Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If it's hiss, then it's in the preamp and recorder. I doubt it's the mic unless there's something wrong with it. Try a different mic and see if you're still experiencing the problem.

If you're noticing substantial amounts of noise then you might want to consider getting a different recorder and/or preamp. See if you can try before you buy to avoid getting stuck with something you don't like.

Or, find out what audio pros are using or have experienced.
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Most likely the greatest contributor to the hiss you hear is the inexpensive preamp in your recorder. It's my experience that using a good outboard preamp and connecting to the recorder via the line-in jack is the most cost-effective improvement to the noise situation you can make.

Best wishes,
Peter

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio