Anyone using the lightwave minimount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using the lightwave minimount?

Sorry guys, but I often have to mount my microphones on camera (a Sony Z1 or A1) - and I am finding that whilst my Rode Sm5 shockmount worked well for shorter mics, it tends to allow my Senn 416 and my AT835ST to flop around a bit when I have a miniscreen half blimp on them. As the Lightwave holds the mic more rigidly, this should not happen with it - but I was just wondering if anyone was using them - and if they worked as well (or better) as the rubber band type suspensions.

Any feedback would be very useful.

All the best,

Last edited by Graeme Fullick; March 23rd, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
Graeme Fullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I had the AT 835b and rubberband shockmount. I know exactly what you are talking about. By the time you put a wind screen on, the shockmount is far from the center of balance and the mic flops around. A lot.

I went to the lightwave minimount and it holds it better. But understand, the tighter the hold the less theoretical isolation. My lightwave attached to my XL1s and it improved vs the stock mount but it's main purpose was to reduce camera noise. My rubber band mount was used on a boom pole so I can't A/B the two for you. Lightwave makes great stuff and the minimount design supposedly lets you move it from Camera to boom pole but for my camera, it was prohibitivly expensive. Might as well put the $$ toward a second mic. Your mileage may vary.

In the end, I got fed up with the oversized AT and replaced it with a Rode NTG-2.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3
DVCreators.Net

Take a look at the K-Tek solutions http://www.mklemme.com/pole/dvcam.html
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Well guys,

Thanks for the input, but I have been giving this a little thought and looking around a bit, and I have come up with a solution.

I cut 2 neoprene rings the same size as the inside of the rings on the SM5 shock mount - and guess what - works perfectly! I got the idea from looking that the mount for the Rycote softie - which uses just the same system. I did not remove the rubber bands, just inserted the neoprene rings on the inside of the mount. Its not as convenient as the mini-mount (which I still might buy), but it is a lot cheaper.

Ernest, how much does the mini-mount weigh? Is it as light as it looks? The SM5 is a little heavy and I would like a lighter shock mount for when I travel.

Guy looked at your site and enjoyed the videos.

All the best,
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the Lightwave Mini-mount model MMXL and it weighs 2.75oz
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Major Player

I have to say that I am a fan of the MiniMount as well. I use it exclusivly on my XL2 to hold my AT 897. Now I know the 897 isn't as long as your Senn, Graeme, but it holds the mic extremly securely. It holds the mic so tightly - without affecting camera noise protection - that I can even turn it 90 degrees clockwise, still holding the mic, so that I can mount other stuff in the accessory shoe.

Hope this helps...
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys,

All the input has been very helpful. I think that I will go ahead and buy one.

All the best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio