Unusual boundary mic placement question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Unusual boundary mic placement question.

What results might I expect if I used an A-T 849 stereo boundary mic mounted upside-down to a thin piece of plywood, then used that plywood to replace a ceiling tile in a suspended ceiling approx. 9 ft high? Would thick or thin plywood work better?

The shoot will be a presentation of a play, and every member of the cast & crew is challenged by some physical problem, (very much like stroke victims), and almost all have difficulty walking and must use aids (cane, wheelchair, etc). Thus, I can have absolutely no wiring on the floor for fear of someone tripping/falling. My plan at present is to obtain at least 2 wireless mics, but that will not be enough for the size of the cast. I need better sound overall. At present, the only other mics I have are 5 wired lavs and 2 shotguns.

Suggestions/recommendations invited.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Trustee

If you don't already have the AT849, and are looking at purchasing something, I think I'd go with an AT hanging mic or two, like the U853R or RW (white). I think placement, coverage and safety would be much better all around with a hanging mic. I've done what you're asking before, but not with a boundary that large or with a cardioid pickup. Results were ok, but I think you could get better results with less setup effort with hanging mics.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio