Wireless Microphones - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:20 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Using two transmitters on the same frequency will result in one of two things (depending on how the receiver is designed)

Either:

- Whichever transmitter is getting the strongest signal to the receiver will be picked up, and the other will be ignored. The receiver could switch back and forth between them at random as signal strenghts fluctuate.

or

- You will get interference, and you won't get clean signal from either mic.

Neither of those are good options. If you need two imput signals, you need two transmitters and two receivers, and each set needs to be on its own frequency, and the frequencies need to be far enough apart from either other so as to not interfere with each other.

-Troy
Troy Tiscareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:47 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Troy,

From your post I think you misunderstood what was the main question I was asking, I understand two transmitters would be a problem, as I said in my post and though I was curious as to what would be the outcome, I did not actually want to do that anyway.

What I was asking was if I had 1 tramsmitter (lavellier) and two recievers working on the same frequency would the signal be picked up by the two recievers ok? So I would get the sound from 1 mic recorded onto two cameras.

Thanks for your input so far.

Chrome
Association of Professional Videomakers (UK) www.apv.org.uk
Megalith TV www.megalith.tv
Stephen M. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:57 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Hmm... the answer is: I don't know, but I would imagine that it would work.

I know that the G2 wireless uses a pilot tone by default, which is a non-audible tone that is transmitted by the transmitter and listened for by the receiver. If the receiver picks up a transmission with no pilot tone, the receiver will ignore it. This feature CAN be disabled, though, and I imagine it would be necessary to do so to make this work. I'm not sure how this is implemented (if it is at all) on other systems.

-Troy
Troy Tiscareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:10 AM   #34
Boss Hog

Yes, you can use two receivers with a single transmitter (but NOT the other way round!) Just like you and your neighbpr can both be tuned to the same radio station.

As long as both receivers are within the transmission range of the body-pack you should be fine. Of course, the receivers must be compatible with the transmitter (same Mfr, model,series, band). Just set both receivers and the transmitter to the same channel/frequency.

I had a situation where I needed to get ausio to several remote speakers and didn't want to run wires. I set a wireless receiver up at each speaker location and put a single transmitter at the sound board. Worked great.

Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio