DVCAM v DV v External Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVCAM v DV v External Recorder

I understand that DV should have better (i.e. uncompressed) sound than DV, but does DVCAM have better audio than DV (apart from dropouts)?

I need to record a choir, plus a band and a string section for our movie, & we don't have a separate audio recorder. I'm hoping DVCAM or DV will provide equivalent quality to a recorder (or perhaps better quality than one of those SD-card recorders, which I presume compress sound like HDV).
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Major Player

DVCam basically uses the same encoding as DV so there is no quality gain there. The inputs and the A/D converters should be better with a DVCam camera than on a standard DV camera and DVCam should be less prone to dropouts as the tape runs faster.
Although the specs are the same as DAT (16 bit, 48 hz) - the quality isn't quite as good but only if you are really picky. Stay away from HDV for any audio purpose.
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Both DV and DVCAM record in PCM audio. The only difference is that DVCAM supports "locked audio" for the 16-bit 32kHz and 16-bit 48kHz modes.

All this means is that, for each frame, there is an exact number of audio samples that must be present. For unlocked audio, the number can vary from frame to frame - but the average number is still tightly defined.

You shouldn't notice any differences between the two when using the same piece of hardware. However, as you note, DVCAM offers better resistance to drop-outs etc.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Pearce View Post
...SD-card recorders, which I presume compress sound like HDV...
Not necessarily so. The Zoom H4, for example, has several MP3 recording bit rates (some quite good), as well as uncompressed PCM recording at 16 and 24 bit, 44/48/96 KHz sampling rates.

If $300-400 is within reach, you should take a closer look at the Zoom, the M-Audio Microtrack, whatever the Edirol is (?), etc.

Although DV, DVCAM and HDV audio are all generally OK for dialog, you can do better for music with an external recorder. Which will also require decent mics, cabling, perhaps a mixer, and someone who knows what to do with the gear.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Trustee

Its the Edirol R-09 ... it can record at 24bit 48KHz PCM (i.e. better-than-DV).

One advantage of the SD card recorders is that they have no moving parts so zero mechanical noise, whereas the cameras have various hums and whirrs so that you ideally need to move the mike away from them.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio