Rode deadcats don't work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Rode deadcats don't work

I bought a Rode deadcat to use with my NT2 mic slid over the stock Rode mic foam, mounted the NT2 on my XL2. I tested it in some windy conditions. The wind was actually not all that bad. Just some wind blowing before a front came in. It failed. The mic still picked up a fair amount of wind noise.

I can't have this. Any know of a windmuff that works?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Deadcats aren't enough for stronger wind situations. For that you need something such as a zepplin to create a dead space around the mic. Check out Rycote's site.
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #3

I'm very curious as to why you're using an NT2 as a camera mounted microphone.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Trustee

I think he meant the NTG-2. I recently used a friend's Rycote Softie on an AT897. It was not able to handle the wind, and I agree that a zeppelin will do much better. I have a Lightwave zeppelin with a velour cover that does very well with an AT4073a or an AT825 inside. I also have a K6/ME66 with a Lightwave Equalizer. It has much softer, thicker fur than the Softie (which isn't really very soft). I don't remember ever getting wind noise with the Equalizer, but I haven't used it lately in windy conditions. From some directions, the Softie was bad in just light breezes and I'm sure I remember the Equalizer being better than that. The ME66 could also be less prone to wind noise than the AT897 or the NTG-2 as well, but really a full zeppelin with some kind of cover gives best protection.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I used the AT897 (which is supposedly a pretty wind-resistant mic, as shotguns go) with a Dead Cat, and it did muffle some wind, but not nearly all of it. I ended up shelling out to Rycote for their zeppelin kit, and have never regretted it. Pretty amazing what it can do.

Shotguns are definitely more resistant to wind from the back and the sides, so having a boom is ideal . . don't make the wind muff do all the work!
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Dolinger View Post
I used the AT897 (which is supposedly a pretty wind-resistant mic, as shotguns go) with a Dead Cat, and it did muffle some wind, but not nearly all of it. I ended up shelling out to Rycote for their zeppelin kit, and have never regretted it. Pretty amazing what it can do.

Shotguns are definitely more resistant to wind from the back and the sides, so having a boom is ideal . . don't make the wind muff do all the work!

Abe, would you be able to post links or info regarding which Dead Cat and which zepplin kit you are using? I have the 897 and will be looking for such a solution myself pretty soon on an upcoming shoot.

Thanks.
-Jon
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones View Post
Abe, would you be able to post links or info regarding which Dead Cat and which zepplin kit you are using? I have the 897 and will be looking for such a solution myself pretty soon on an upcoming shoot.

Thanks.
-Jon
Try http://www.rycote.com/products/windshield/index.asp
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I believe Rode only makes one model of Dead Cat, for the NT series of shotguns. They work fine over the stock windscreens of the AT897s. For the zeppelin I got the Rycote Kit #4, which will hold the AT897 as well as the Senn. MKH416 and the Schoeps CMC641 (with the low-cut+GVC swivel) in case you want to upgrade. I don't think we're encouraged to mention vendors here, but there's a good price on the Rycote at a place in LA that sounds like your morning caffeinated beverage. . .
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes, I meant NTG-2, sorry for the confusion.
Old March 31st, 2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray View Post
I bought a Rode deadcat to use with my NT2 mic slid over the stock Rode mic foam, mounted the NT2 on my XL2. I tested it in some windy conditions. The wind was actually not all that bad. Just some wind blowing before a front came in. It failed. The mic still picked up a fair amount of wind noise.

I can't have this. Any know of a windmuff that works?
The NT2-a is a studio mic. It's not designed for exterior use. It's also not designed to be used on a camera. What were you trying to record?

How the heck did you mount one of them on a camera! I want pictures! :)

Next time put the dead cat on the XL2 mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
The NT2-a is a studio mic. It's not designed for exterior use. It's also not designed to be used on a camera. What were you trying to record?

How the heck did you mount one of them on a camera! I want pictures! :)

Next time put the dead cat on the XL2 mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
If its not designed for outdoor use, then why does Rode make a dead cat for it? Everyone else told me the NTG-2 is no good indoors. I played around with it in both settings. I did not really notice any difference from the stock mic. Then again I just played around with it and did not really shoot anything serious.

To mount it I just put a thin ring of foam off a jumprope handle on it and duct taped the foam on the mic. Then mounted it as usual. Works fine.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM   #12
Trustee

No worries Adam,
I think Ty didn't read your recent corrective post before responding and was therefore posting in regards to the errant info in the originating post, and your most recent response is in response to the errant info in his post....this thing is going round and round on TWO DIFFERENT MICS and it just seems folks just aren't checking the thread thoroughly before posting.

-Jon
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks Jonathan,

Yes they are two entirely different mics.

The NTG-2 is a shotgun and with the dead cat works very well out doors.

It will not, however, prevail in a high wind. To do that you need much more expensive and heavy wind gear. K-tek makes a zeppelin in which you mount the mic. They also offer an exterior furry.

Here's the deal on wind. You need space between the mic and the breaker to do the best job. Putting a dead cat on a foam wind filter works only to a certain velocity. Then you need serious stuff.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM   #14
Trustee

I have a Mike's Muff on my AT835ST over the foam and can handle 25mph gusts IF.... you do not have a leak on the back side. I found that if I add a looped and looped rubberband where the opening to slide down the mike, it cleans up what sounds like a leak in the front. It appeared tight, but there was wind coming in the velcro closure.

A deadcat has more coverage, but make sure that it is not a leak in the back that is the real problem. Not that it is the problem in this instance...
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #15
DVCreators.Net

I wouldn't say that they don't work at all, they just can only handle so much. To prove the point jump over to http://dvestore.com/dvgeartalk.html and watch the RODE SVM (Stereo VideoMic) episode with the "dead kitty", then watch the "Location sound package" episode to get an idea of what the Sennheiser blimp, pistol grip and long haired wind muff is capable of. Two very different types of wind protection and two different price points, but it will give you an idea as to what to expect.

The Sennheiser set-up is totally pro and is priced accordingly. A bargain blimp from K-TEK may be the way to go check out mklemme.com we have these available in our store too.

Hope this helps,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio