Digital Rights Management at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Digital Rights Management

My client purchased a WMA from Yahoo so I could produce their personal wedding video. Vegas 7 won't let me use it because of Digital Rights Management. I'm looking for a plug-in to disable DRM or a lossless recorder to keep the sound quality optimum.

Thoughts?
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My thoughts are, don't particpate in the illegal use of copyright music. The fact that they purchased the tune from Yahoo or whereever does not make it legal for you to use it.

Your question about a lossless recorder sounds like you're thinking of looping back into the computer from the analog output while playing the song, re-essentially re-recording it. Some soundcards make it easy to do that, called support for 'multi-client audio.' For example I have an Echo Audiofire that can playback from one application while recording into another, like playing back from WinAmp while recording in Vegas. It's a simple matter, then, of patching the card's outputs being used for playback back into a pair of its line inputs, perhaps through a mixing desk to more easily control levels, etc - done all the time in tracking for music production. Check and see if this is possible with your soundcard. Not totally lossless - no D/A A/D chain can be - but pretty darned close if you've got a good audio interface and decent mixing desk.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Not that I am suggesting you bypass DRM controls but the Voice Over control in my NLE (Edius) allows me to record straight from the computer's "mix out" line without the need to physically run a wire. Several programs will do this. I think Audacity will but I'm not sure.

Randy
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I don't want DV Info Net to be used for discussions about how to bypass the methods put in place to protect the intellectual property of content creators. The two replies offered so far can stay, but the thread comes to an end at this point. See also http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/busin...yrightfaq1.php -- thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio