Synching double-system sound with my HVX-200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Synching double-system sound with my HVX-200

Hi all. . .

I'm getting ready to try some double-recording system work with my HVX-200 and a 16-track Yamaha AW4416 digital audio workstation. The board is quite large, but it does allow me to record at 48K, has some pretty nice preamps and converters, and individual EQ and compression on each channel. I'll record on the AW AND send a stereo mix out to the HVX-200.

Since I'm making all of my own locations, portability with the big mixer is not an issue.

Here's my question:

The HVX-200 records at 48K. So does the AW4416. It seems to me that I shouldn't have to deal with time code at all so long as I have a clap-board sound to establish the starting point of each shot. Since my clips will generally be no more than 1 minute long, I would think that any time code drifts would be utterly negligible.

Should this double-system work for me without serious difficulties?

Thanks much.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Trustee

You should be fine.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, they've been doing that successfully since about 1930. It'll work for you too.

By the way, that 48K number has to do with the number of samples per second of the audio portion of the recorder. Even if one of them used 48K and the other was say 44.1K, you could still use this approach to sync double-system sound. You can also, since you have a guide track on the camera, use the already sunk up (synced up?) guide track to align your audio from the audio recorder on your edit system.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks much.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Organization of your clips will not be the easiest, because this recorder is designed to build multi-track songs, not a multi-clip linear project. I haven't updated the operating system on mine in years, yours could be set up differently now, I don't know. I know in the past it wasn't as easy a tool to use for your purpose. How are you going to transfer the files to your computer? Mine had SCSI only for data, and a number of digital formats in and out but they were real-time. You could burn songs to the onboard CD drive, but I don't think it would do a data disc with just your clips.
Have you tried this whole process out yet?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio