Minidisc replacement recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Minidisc replacement recorder

Hello, I would like to get some audio recorder for recording audio at jobs like fashion shows or events (connected directly to DJ mixer or something like that). It would accompany in-camera audio. Since minidiscs are getting a bit hard to come by, what would you recommend as its replacement? Thanks.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Jiri,

solid state recorders that record to flash memory cards are very affordable these days, and very convenient. Popular choices include the M-Audio MicroTrack and the Zoom H4. If you do a search for these here in the forum you should find a lot of comments and advise regarding these devices.

- Martin
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much Martin! I will definitely look into these devices.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
Hello, I would like to get some audio recorder for recording audio at jobs like fashion shows or events (connected directly to DJ mixer or something like that). It would accompany in-camera audio. Since minidiscs are getting a bit hard to come by, what would you recommend as its replacement? Thanks.
I've posted earlier about the XtremeMac MicroMemo http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earph...cromemo_video/ and have an audio example of it to post whenever I get approval to post attachments. I've sent Contact Us an email and have been a member for over 30 days, so am patiently waiting. :)

It records in 16 bit, 44.1 KHz audio. I synced the audio to a FinalCut timeline where I was filming from a balcony in a non-mic'ed church and the person at the front had their back to me, so the mic on my camera didn't hear anything, but the MicroMemo picked it up as if I was standing next to them with camera, and there were no out of sync issues at all, and it sounded great! I've also recorded training lectures on a full iPod Video charge and it recorded for 3 hours without a hiccup and still had 50% battery life left.

I'm using it again tomorrow for a wedding.

This is standalone, so there is no wireless signal to worry about and you can connect your own mic with the line-in feature.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio