Need help with wireless mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 15th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Need help with wireless mic

I'm going to be shooting outdoor hunting videos with a Canon XH-A1 and I could sure use some advice with a good professional wireless mic system.
Can anyone help?
Allen Kallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Kallel View Post
I'm going to be shooting outdoor hunting videos with a Canon XH-A1 and I could sure use some advice with a good professional wireless mic system.
Can anyone help?
Well, you have a lot to consider. I'd say to search the forum, as there've been many discussions on this. My first suggestion however, is to decide what is the absolute maximum amount of money you can put towards this. THEN decide what is the best mic. (for that money) There are others here that will say to just buy the mic, and hang the budget. It could get messy with all the opinions, that's why I say to search the forum and read...

Just my 2 cents,

Good luck!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Allan,

I shoot outdoor stuff all the time. If you have 300.00 the AT 897 is very good (read the list it is often mentioned as the best for ones money) . On my gl2 I use a rode mic (179.00) that uses a 9 volt battery and it is surprisingly good. I feel it gets better sound than my stock mic on my xl2.

If you have lots of money go for the higher end mic!!

B & H give god discriptions of all these different mics,

Mark is right, decide ones budget first.
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Dale,
Money isn't an object, but I don't want to get more than I need. These video's will be for TV, and I don't want to anything but quality.
Forgive the dumb question, I'm a newbie, Who is B & H ?
Thanks again
Allen Kallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

although they are not a sponsor of this site they are one of the if not the largest supplier of all thing audio, video and photographic.
B&H dot com. If nothing else you can lose yourself for hours just looking to see what they have.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #6
Trustee

I would have thought your biggest problem would be getting the bear or the deer to stand still while you put the mike on :-)

(sorry couldn't help myself)
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Thanks Dale,
Money isn't an object, but I don't want to get more than I need. These video's will be for TV, and I don't want to anything but quality.
In that case, I'd say to ask Ty Ford what the absolute best mic for your purpose might be. (Money might start to be a factor in your equation.)

Good luck,

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks Dale,
Forgive the dumb question, I'm a newbie, Who is B & H ?
Thanks again
With money as no object, you might find the price gets stratospheric in a hurry. Some of the wireless xmtr/rcvr pairs used by network broadcasters, Hollywood feature studios, and the like can run into the several thousands of dollars a pair range.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Major Player

The vast majority of wireless systems used in television and film production (at least in the States) are from Lectrosonics. The other two "gold standard" companies are Zaxcom and Audio Ltd. I've had excellent results with Lectrosonic's products over the years. They're reliable, ruggedly built, and are backed up with solid customer service.

Also, while I'm plugging away here. While B&H is a fine "big box" store, if you want salesfolks that actually know about audio recording on location, I'd recommend one of the specialty audio outfits like Location Sound, Trew Audio, or Coffey Sound. There are others as well, but the point is that you will get better advice and better customer service from those folks when compared to B&H.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #10
DVCreators.Net

If money is not object take a look at

http://www.zaxcom.com/

and

http://www.lectrosonics.com/

When the reality sets in that these *might* be overkill. (You could buy a brand new car for a couple of channels.) You might ask yourself if you could get by with something that is more reasonable.

The Sennheiser Evolution G2 Wireless seems to be the sweet spot http://dvcreators.net/sennheiser-mics

And then if you get really into saving and want a low budget set, that is still pretty good, Audio Technica offers a VHF set called the Pro 88W. http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wl...ec4/index.html

Myself, I like the Sennheiser, with an upgraded Countryman B6 lav. http://www.dvcreators.net/countryman-b6-lavalier/

That way you're at $499 for the wireless set and $319 for a top of the line lav.

Use the coupon code "dvinfo" at checkout in the DVeStore for 5% off and you're at $777.10.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I agree. If you can afford it, get the Lectrosonics.

I've been using the Sennheisers for years in many different types of situations - indoors and outdoors - and have found them to be rugged and reliable. The audio quality is acceptable (have done a bunch of stuff for tv with them)- sometimes even better - but if, as suggested above, you can afford to pair the system with an even better quality mic, it's a good way to go. That is, if you can't afford the Lectros.
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Super cardio (for wildlife) and lav mic (for host) connected to a two channel second system.
Dan Quintero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Out Door Wildlife audio

I suggest you look at what the pros use. I would never use anything but a full scale Rycote/Sennheiser Blimp with the best fur covering available (I would buy a used Rycote unit off of Ebay before a cheapo off brand).

I have boomed a wedding in high wind on a Washington State ferry, I had to turn off the wireless lavs and rely on my shotgun for good sound. Lav microphones do not work well in wind.

One good point... you can get away with Sennheiser G2 units in the outdoors away from the city. There is less UHF interference. Make some furry coverings for the Lav mics (I bought some synthetic black fur from my local fabric store).
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Seattle WA

Alan,

I grew up in Beaverton Or and spent alot of time in Bend (my dad loved fishing Craine Praire area).

Let me know if you need any help, I travel to Sprauge River Oregon south of you every 4 months.

Last edited by Mark Boyer; March 17th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio