OT Audio nightmare! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OT Audio nightmare!

Rant on/
I just finished a two camera shoot of a meeting. There was a panel of 14 speakers sitting at tables on stage! What a nightmare. And there was an audience question and answer session to boot. Sheesh! What I did was to put a wired SM58 and a wireless SM58 for the panel to pass around. I also put a parab in back of the (small) auditorium and used that with the shotgun on my camera. I used all 4 camera inputs. So far the audio seems ok, but some of the panelists did not use the mics. I was told that they would be made aware of using the mics. Of course they weren’t. I guess next time I should tell them that if they don't speak into a mic they won't be heard! On top of this there was no PA! Why do I get myself into these things?
Rant/off

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Major Player

I did something similar recently, day long conference. fortuantely there was a PA, but with seats for 6 or 8 at the table, there were 3 mics. At least they passed them around a bit. their levels weren't up that high to avoid feedback (this was set up by the house, not me) I was on camera on the floor with a house feed, had a static , unmanned cam upstairs in their project booth, output to my DSR-11, with a house feed. I watched my levels but upstairs there was no one, so it was much hotter than mine, so post was a pain. Oh and did I mention 2 wireless passed around in the audience for Q&A. I wound up using the wide shot upstairs to open and close each session, and to cover camera moves on the floor.

I did learn a few things as well, and mentioned them in the post mortem. Mainly, that if they want to do this again, I need help, and the more complicated they want it to get (venues, set up etc) the less I, as a one man production unit, will be able to handle.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio