OK got my Senn Evolution G2, configured, connected to GL2. Not working? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 20th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #16
Regular Crew

No you arent talking down to me. I know just enough to be dangerous as you can see. Anything to keep me from blowing up $600 in new gear Im all ears.

Heres what Im going to do:

I. Plug Senn receiver into Keyboard from AF Out into amp microphone-in or audio-in using the supplied Senn lavalier mike. I need to make a 1/4" jack conversion here but I have these to do so to plug into amp. Then I will turn amp on, Senn receiver on, Senn transmitter on, and talk into transmitter like "Watson, come here. I want to speak to you." In theory based on my limited knowledge of electronics, the sound would jump through the air from transmitter to receiver, then flow from receiver AF Out into amp input and spew outta the speakers like a big funnel of love.

II. Then I will throw the Senns to the side and try to just connect Senn lavalier mike to amp audio/microphone in. We know mike is good but this will confirm it. Ill do the Watson thing again just for full effect.

III. Then I will find my other lavelier mike (fingers crossed) and test in amp to see if it works. Then test in transmitter in Scenario I to see if it works. Then plug directly into GL2 to see if it works.

If everything works, where does this leave me, besides grabbing another brewskie from the fridge?
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Chris,

Sorry it took so long i hope this is not late.

i put together a crappy step by step video it's a big file so let it load.

Please keep in mind i put it together for you, so it's not anything pro and im not a reporter or anything in fact i dont like being in front of the camera so dont judge me on my skill of being in front of the cam.. if you do the setup i have and you still have a prob there might be a bigger issue at hand.

hope it helps or at least confirms your settings

again sorry it took so long making a video and uploading takes some time.

~Mike

Video 120MB ---> http://homedir-c.libsyn.com/podcasts...ttingupmic.mov
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #18
Regular Crew

WOW.

Ive heard of customer service but a freaking one-off video. This is just TOO good. Impressed I must say! I owe you one.

Heres the deal: SUCCESS!

CAVEAT!

I have no earthly idea what I did to make this work. Id almost swear on a tall stack of bibles Ive done everything the same. I just noticed when messing around with it this time that when I plugged the receiver in to the mic-in, I saw bars when I started talking. Id done that about 100 times before. I dunno. And Im afraid(!!) whatever I did will disappear on me. Its working at moment though. Sound is REAL good.

If you want to know how stupid I am, I wondered "ok Chriseroo, why am I getting reverb/echo on this audio? Turns out I had my viewfinder on camera on and when capturing the vid in my Vegas, I was hearing the play on my PC and from the stupid GL2 speakers. Im a piece of work.

I dont know anything on the mike-att stuff. I think I have it set right though. Is there anything I need to "reset" when I unhook this stuff and just shoot with the GL2 mike? I have the Canon DM50 as well.

VIdeo forthcoming on progress -- and more questions. Stay tuned. Big time thanks on the help!
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #19
Trustee

One little side-issue ..... not a biggie since you seem to have fixed the problem, but in case others read this thread later.

A previous post suggested plugging your headphones into the audio-out of the G3 receiver to check there was indeed an output signal. And I was going to suggest that too, but thought I'd better try it first.

Suprisingly (to me) I heard nothing, even though my receiver transmits fine to my camera's 'mic in'. So it seems the G3 output is either the wrong level or perhaps the wrong wiring to power typical 3.5mm-jack headphones.

Just my $0.02.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM   #20
Regular Crew

awesome chris congrats.

when unplugging and using the auto just unplug and slide the switch for audio back to auto.... and if using mic att turn it off. boom thats it.

Mic att in the simplest way is like putting your fingers in your ear. if someone is yelling and you cant take it anymore what can you do. i noticed that when working with un balanced sources using the mic in on any cam i like to use mic att.

also when you go to auto on your audio don't worry about changing your levels on the knobs... this way when you hook back up and go to manule for your mics it's in the sweet spot you had it in.

again bravo for getting it to work.

~Mike
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Welp-

messing around with this more last night, I noticed when I turned everything on again (I had not unhooked anything) that when the GL2 was in manual mode, there were ZERO bars on the GL2, but okay on the Sennheisers. When I switched the GL2 to auto mode, I got bars and was able to pass audio.

Not really sure why this is. I disabled and re-enabled MIKE ATT and it doesnt seem to affect anything.

Hmm.

On another related Sennheiser topic, anyone know how to get the battery cover off the SKP-100? I have tried for 2 days to get it off and cannot. Yes, I really am this dumb. My thumbs and fingers are practically blistered from trying to get it off.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #22
Major Player

Chris, I don't have a GL2, nor have I ever used one, but if the audio control wheels are anything like they are on the XG-A1, they're backwards! Counter clockwise to raise the level, clockwise to lower. Maybe you think you have manual levels maxed out when in fact they are at 0.

On the SKP-100, it's a push down & slide out flip up kind of thing. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM   #23
Regular Crew

your suggestion may have solved my manual audio issue.

im still trying to get the battery cover off the SKP. I have pushed pulled prodded twisted yanked spanked and cussed like a sailor for three days trying to get it off.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rieman View Post
your suggestion may have solved my manual audio issue.
I originally thought about this when this thread started, but didn't say anything because I could not imagine Canon doing this with other models. The A1 is the 1st Canon cam I've owned, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. So it's been a lame design flaw/decision for quite a while now and I suppose no one complained.

Quote:
im still trying to get the battery cover off the SKP. I have pushed pulled prodded twisted yanked spanked and cussed like a sailor for three days trying to get it off.
Umm, surely with all that, you haven't deformed it to the point where it's stuck? :)

Yoo hoo... Michael... make a How To Open SKP Cover video (if you have one, of course) :D

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I havent deformed anything. It wont budge a millimeter. Im assuming this is your ordinary garden variety battery cover. You put a thumb on the ridges, give it a push, and voila.

No dice. Its like its welded shut. my thumbs are out of commission trying to get this thing off.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:38 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Chris,

For the SKP-100 the cover wont come completely out... it;s just a slide and flip.

im sure you tryed the slide and flip... what i do is put my finger on it. push in a tad then slide it up(direction of the area of grooves) then it flips out.

if you got it to flip out then thats all your gonna get unless you break it... if you cant get it to flip out then you need to make me a video because thats crazy!!

Good luck man

~Mike
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
I havent deformed anything. It wont budge a millimeter. Im assuming this is your ordinary garden variety battery cover. You put a thumb on the ridges, give it a push, and voila.

No dice. Its like its welded shut. my thumbs are out of commission trying to get this thing off.
Chris,

There are a series of indented ridges in the shape of an arrowhead, and it points toward the rear.(This I'm sure you know.) In addition to pushing in the direction of that arrow, you must push down while doing it. There is a slight latch that holds it in place until it begins moving.

Mike
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:04 AM   #28
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Welp-

messing around with this more last night, I noticed when I turned everything on again (I had not unhooked anything) that when the GL2 was in manual mode, there were ZERO bars on the GL2, but okay on the Sennheisers. When I switched the GL2 to auto mode, I got bars and was able to pass audio.

Not really sure why this is. I disabled and re-enabled MIKE ATT and it doesnt seem to affect anything.

Hmm.

That's exactly one of the things I was trying to get you to check out before. Now you can see what I meant. In the manual position, the sound is low because the level controls are set too low.

The 'mic att' acts kind of like was described before, 'hands over your ears'. (Good analogy Michael!) On that camera, I've only really needed to attenuate when I was too close to a DJ or band's speakers. (rare) You should be able to set the Senn levels to not overdrive the camera's input, and not need mic att.

Glad you got everything resolved!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Im going to attack the SKP battery cover again tonight. Ive pushed down with both hands with all of my might and tried to slide forward. Its just not moving.

In the limited testing Ive done the G2 transmitter/receiver is performing pretty doggone well. Good clarity. Anyone want to recommend a good wind booty for the lavalier?

If I can get the batteries in the SKP Im thinking of getting a handheld mike I can use with it. I dont think I want to tie/untie ppl with the transmitter/lavalier doing interviews outside (its great for hands free personal stuff). I saw on DVEStore that had a pretty good mike for $200 that will use the SKP100. With a wind muff or something on it, I think thats the most practical outdoor approach.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM   #30
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Anyone want to recommend a good wind booty for the lavalier?

Yep. Rather than re-type everything, look here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=90486

I was pleasantly suprised!
Mark Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio