Rode Videomic + XLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Rode Videomic + XLR

I have a GL2 and I am about to purchase the Rode Videomic for my camera. I have already made up my mind about which mic I want, but I am now in the dilemma of whether or not I want to run the Videomic through the external mic jack or get the Beachtek XLR adapter and run it through that.

Would there be any benefits of running the Videomic through an XLR input (with an XLR adapter) versus the external mic jack?

If I wasn't going to go and get the Beachtek XLR input adapter, what would be the easiest way to use the Videomic as a boom? How long is the cord that comes with it?
Kevin Laster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Kevin,

You've got lots of questions here, I'm sorry I don't have all the answers for you. But maybe I can help you think through part it...

The Beachtek (and Studio1) products for the GL-2, are designed to provide XLR connections, easily accessable level controls, and the ability to use 2 mics at the same time. (a Studio 1 product offers 3 XLR mic inputs) I think there is a 1/8" input on one of them, too.

My thinking is this; if you'll never use anything but the Videomic, you won't NEED the Beachtek. If you'll want/need the ability to use 2 mics, you'll need the Beachtek (or Studio 1).

I can't imagine any benefit in adapting the Videomic for XLR use, if the mic already has the ability to directly connect to the GL-2. (Assuming it's only used as a camera mounted mic.)

Sorry if I'm confusing anything for you, but I'm trying to answer a lot with as short a post as I can put together.

As for the boom and cable length questions, I don't know. Maybe someone else will post those answers.

Good Luck!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The Videomics output cable is 10-12 inches uncoiled. Don't know enough about the GL2s inputs but the Sign Video XLR-PRO adaptor works great with the VM, all unbalanced tho. RODE sell a boom.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio