How to reduce noise from the clips (for short film of mine) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 4th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to reduce noise from the clips (for short film of mine)

I want to reduce some unwanted noise from the audio recordings from my short film. I mean for example we shot a scene in a room and I can hear a small echo. How can I reduce or erase it? Which programs are you using to cleanse audio for make it more "cinematic" (clearer).

In an another scene at the park, and I notice there is wind sound all the time, I tried to reduce it via program called Goldwave with "reduce noise" filter. It seems okay but Is there a better solution?

Sorry for my english.
Erhan Gucel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Erhan, no need to apologize! Your English is great, better than many native speakers.

Unfortunately you have two sound problems that basically can't be solved in post. There's no easy way to cancel out echo. If it's minimal, try a soft gate and some compression. This is something you'll have to do on set . . use a hyper (not a shotgun) and blankets, baffles, a mattress, whatever you can get your hands on.

Wind noise - there's a reason sound guys spend hundreds of dollars on zeppelins . . but you can try cutting the extreme lows (<80hz or so) in your sound editor. This will not erase the sound of the wind, but it might take out the worst parts. Furry windscreens are not that expensive depending on your make of mic. If you own a Rode shotgun, they're $50-70.

If your audio is really unacceptable I'd consider reshooting it. On-set sound has a rough learning curve, and sometimes you have to do things twice to get it right.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio