Beachtek Buzz Busted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 5th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #1
Tourist

Beachtek Buzz Busted

After lurking here for a really long time, I've taken everyone's collected advice and purchased my new setup: VX2000, Beachtek DXA-4 adapter, and an Azden SGM2X mic. I'm getting used to it. So far, I LOVE IT.

Plesae forgive me if this is redundant. But ... In previous posts, if I read them right, we were instructed to remove the cover plate of the Beachtek itself and scrape off the insulating material between the cover and the body. Beachtek includes instructions that are somewhat different.

Here is the exact text of the hot-pink-paper notice they packed with my just-received DXA-4:

"Sony VX1000 and VX200 Users: To ensure noise free recording on these camcorders with the DXA-4 adapter, the ground connection between the camera body and adapter should be improved.
"1.) Remove at least one of the four Philips head screws on the tripod plate on the underside of the camcorder." (Note from me: This requires a 00-size Philips screwdriver.)
"2.) Scrape away any paint around the [recessed portion of the] plate surface where the head of the screw touches this area.
"3.) Replace the scre(s) and you are done.
"This procedure allows a good ground path from the camera body through the tripod plate to the mounting bolt on the DXA-4 adapter for noise free operation. Please call or email us if you need any help. /S/ Beachtek, inc, (416) 690-9457; email: adapter@beachtek.com."

I wouldn't have put in the phone and address, but these particular ones aren't given on their website.

After doing what they instructed, I tested the setup and, voila, the intermittent buzz was history.

Like I said, hope this isn't redundant. Thanks to everyone for all the frank discussion, suggestions and helpful links. ----- Bill
Bill Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What I can't understand is why doesen't Beachtek remove it thereself. Wouldn't that be simpler than selling a xlr that's designed for a camera and ask the consumer to fix it. They should sell this as a do-it-yourself kit for half the price.
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Charles, they can't remove it themselves, because it is on the VX2000. Also Bill you may wan tto open the Beachtek and scrape all the paint off one of the edges on the box and lid of the Beachtek to make sure it has a positive connection, this and what you've explained cleaned up my audio big time using the same equipment you just described. I have the SGM2X as well. Anyway, Beachtek could have done the second step themselves. That was disappointing.
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Now how about an answer to my question on the vx2k straight ahead thread.

ty very much
Charles French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Bill,

What a coincidence. I have the exact same set up as you and just got my mic and Beachtek in the mail (haven't tried it yet because I need to get a tiny Phillips head to remove that little screw). Glad to hear you're happy with it.

I am very new at this and still learning a lot so forgive my stupid question.

Do you use the second (I guess right) XLR input? I'm assuming some people record with two mics and use this, but having trouble figuring out how I would ever use it. Is it for concerts? I don't think I've ever seen people recording with two mics before.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #6
Major Player

You can use the second XLR for a Shotgun and the other for an omni direction mic. You can plug in a mixer and all sorts of other audio devices, etc.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Sheesh, no wonder I was getting such poor audio off this adapter. Why am I always the last person to find out these things?
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio