Rode NT4 Clipping in High Sound Environment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Rode NT4 Clipping in High Sound Environment

I recently picked up a Panasonic HPX2000 camera - it's the new 2/3" full-sized P2 camera, and it has a 5 pin xlr stereo input on the front. I wanted to run my Schoeps CMIT5U, but can only run into one channel or the other. Decided to try my Rode NT4 clipped on camera and used the breakout cable to feed the rear XLR's as stereo left/right.

I was planning on using it in a party environment with a DJ, etc, so the night before, I tested the mic/camera settings by cranking the stereo and basically shoving the camera into the speaker - seemed fine - obviously not an ideal scenario, but an extreme test that seemed like it was working. I had the mic inputs set to -50db in the cam, and engaged the internal limiter in the menu and was prepared to set the audio switches to 'auto' for the mic inputs (as manual was tough to keep track of with the varying dynamics, and I was really rolling it off to almost 0).

I noticed during some introductions that the DJ's speech was distorting/clipping as I was recording. I took one channel off auto and tried to roll everything down on my dial to accommodate (to almost 0)- it was still clipping and distorting. My levels look good in Sound Forge - plenty of headroom to go - just a distorted top. I do not think it's from his speakers, rather, caused by my system overloading/not handling, etc.

After that take, I went to the truck and found a couple of 10db pads and put them in the line. I caught another clip here or there, but it wasn't like it was before. The dancing later seemed to be fine - but I wasn't pointed directly at the speakers as before. It was loud, but not insane loud. Perhaps it was just the vocal frequency...?

I don't ever remember being able to overload this mic (or any mic) like this - just wondering if anyone has used the Rode on cam in a similar situation or not? I feel like I've tried everything - either the mic can't handle it and/or I'm overloading the panny preamps. I'm going to try a stronger 20 or 30db pad, but I don't want to put myself in a similar position as before - and I'd rather not carry a little field mixer around - although that's an option I guess, and would allow me to send a dual signal to the cam with my Schoeps...

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Continue to pursue the mixer idea.

I suggest a Sound Devices 302.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Major Player

I've got a Sound Devices 442 & a Shure FP33. Was hoping for one less thing to worry about for more of the run/gun situations, but it may add some flexibility/continuity/quality in the end. Just the mono mics to 'stereo only' inputs (including the front) on this camera almost demands using one.

That Rode looks kinda goofy riding up top anyway - almost waiting for it to fall off.

Thanks.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In a word, yes.

442= quality.

They are virtually uncrashable unless you are a complete idiot or the mic is closer to the muzzle than it should be.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio