Questions about ATW 1800 wireless system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Questions about ATW 1800 wireless system

Is the ATW 1800 reciever output usable when camcorder has only unbalanced minijack input and if yes then what would be the disadvantages?
I figured out that I can use the plug on transmitter on my phantom mics so I could use the system on lower end camcorders too.

Are the systems sold on BH usable all over the world?

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Um,

Unless you have adapters you won't be able to plug the 1800 output cables. They come with mini XLRs to get out of the receiver to regular XLRs.

The plug on data specifically states that it WON'T power 48 VDC phantom mics. I don't think the plug on will power 12 VDC phanotm either. MIght be wrong on that, but I don't think so. You might get something, but it'll probably be low annd level and distorted.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Major Player

from the 1800 plug on spec: Microphone Power (ATW-T1802 Plug-on Transmitter): Provides power to condenser microphones rated to
operate on 12V phantom power or less.

I have used the 1800 plug on with the AT3031 which wants 11-52V DC (3 mA).

In actuality, I think the 3031 can get away with lower voltage and the plug on can reach 12v but I think one test showed it at around 9 volts (I think the mike can go down to about 7 volts if it had to but that's outside of the official spec).

FWIW... hope this helps.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Major Player

In theory and by the spec the plug will work with AKG blueline series which I have.
And by my guess I can use regular XLR to minijack Y adaptor to plug the receiver output to camcorder`s 3.5mm stereo mic input. Maybe I`m wrong.

My biggest worry is if the system doesn`t work in Europe - GSM interference maybe.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio