DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need an idea of good speakers... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/94019-need-idea-good-speakers.html)

Alex Lucas May 14th, 2007 12:34 PM

Need an idea of good speakers...

Getting a MacPro to start my new life as a solo video creator, and well, my speakers for the old PC stink. We're talking $9.

So, because I am going to edit with an ear for sound as well, I need audio advice on what to do properly, although I don't ever anticipate that I'll be using ProTools or anything like that (I live in Nashville, if I need an audio genius, I just walk over to my neighbor's house, or just throw a stone in a crowd).

But I do need good speakers for a decent price that will give me honest representation for shooting on Beta SP, XH Canons, and Beta SX, and XDCam.

Some suggestions would be nice, because I'm at a loss on this one, and mic choices beyond Sennheisers.

Jeffery Magat May 14th, 2007 02:02 PM

Probably a good idea to give us your budget first.

Steve House May 14th, 2007 04:40 PM

Get ready for sticker shock. If you're talking about speakers for serious audio monitoring for dialog and Foley cutting, mixing, and sound design, you're looking at price ranges starting at around $500 - $750 a pair for basic, entry-level monitors going up into the multi-kilobuck levels for speakers you'd find in a network sound truck or Hollywood edit suite. Perhaps if you can elaborate more on what you need we can be of more help. And don't forget, really great speakers in a sh***y sounding space won't cut it - to know what's really going on in your sound you need BOTH good monitoring hardware and an acoustically clean space to work in, so don't forget to include the cost of conditioning your workspace. Frankly, $100 given over to acoustic conditioning is money better spent than is an extra $100 on speakers once you get above the "multimedia speakers" level.

By the way,Senn's are good but not the only game in town - there's also Schoeps, Sanken, Audio Technica, AKG, Countryman, Shure, DPA, Neumann, as well as others in contention in the pro mic lineup.

Alex Lucas May 14th, 2007 05:38 PM

Wow. I see what you mean by sticker shock.

I can honestly say that after your responses I am going to have to refigure the budget in the situation.

Seriously, I was looking in the $150 US range, but currently, I can see that that might be inadequate.

My rig is curretly going to be the barebones MacPro that Mike Curtis advises on HD for Indies, as I just have about ten grand to go with to start. As I am an ENG photgrapher by original trade (and as you know ENG for the most part in audio is barely adequate) I see I might need to re-evaluate a lot of things with audio.

So here's the prelim budget. How about $200? I guess it is better to soundproof your area first. I'll be reading up on that.

(By the way, got the MacPro a few hours ago, posting on it for the first time. So far, it's great.)

Jason Strongfield May 14th, 2007 07:03 PM

For low to lower mid-end, the standard is the mackie hr824, but that is still way over your budget.

Check on ebay for Alesis m620, when available, they usually go for $329-$399 a pair. Although not ideal, if you dont have the cash now, invest in a pair of good cans (sony 7506 or Sennheiser HD280) and edit on those.

If i were you, i'll go to the local guitar center and audition some monitor speakers. Generally, the lower end speakers tend to suffer on the lower end frequencies or have muddy boomy low end.