DVX100 sound or double system. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 11th, 2003, 04:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVX100 sound or double system.

Hi guys!

I've been looking all over the web, but haven't found any information about this.

How good is the onboard sound in the Panasonic DVX100 compared to a Tascam DA-P1 or any sony walkman DAT. Is there a lot of motor noise from the camera even though I'm only going to use a boompole and not mount the mic on the camera?

I'm probably going to use a Sennheiser ME67 or an MKH-416.

Thanks
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 04:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

if it's anything like the other Panas, its a rock solid, virtually noiseless piece of kit...
I actaully record voiceovers using the sennheiser 112 radio mic connected to an old DS88 single chiped cam and it sounds bloody nice.. i sold my minidisc and dat as this gives me a nicer more "workable" recording...

alot of MD players these days have improved their compression algorithms since yesterd=year, so they do some great work, and some allow connecting em up with your editor thru SMTPE which makes life a breaze when syncing voice to image.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #3
Major Player

There's a review of the DVX100's sound in DV.com. If you're registered there look for the DVX100 review by Adam Wilt, there should also be a link to a side column article on this camcorder's sound written by Jay Rose. In summary it has the best sound of any MiniDV camcorder out right now.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, that was really fast response, this gave me just enough push so that I can take the next step.

Basically the camera sound is great compared to others, one get 72db with the DVX100 and as Jay Rose wrote, "it's acceptable for broadcast and some theater screening".

Since my goal is to participate in filmfestivals and show it on the big screen, maybe it would be better to go for a DAT since they have over 90db in output. I guess the budget will decide in the end.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Very true budget always seems to have the final say. I purchased a used Tascam DA-P1 (had about 8 hours total). I'm glad I purchased it because lately some of the locations I've taken it required a level of durability and I'm not sure I'd feel as confidant with other solutions. However there is an overhead involved with DAT. The media is more expensive when compared to MD or CD and then you have to find a way to digitally transfer the audio from the DAT to your computer otherwise the advantages of DAT are lost. I've seen Jay Rose recommend the Edirol UA-1D for capturing the audio digitally to the computer but I've never tried it and there are other solutions out there including add-in cards for your computer.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I actually have Omnistudio with a Delta 66 sound card, and it has SPIDF digital inputs, at least the manual says they are digital, I don't know much about post production audio yet, to me they look like regular RCAs, but I assume it would be the way to go. Maybe you or someone can enlighten me.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio