please help choosing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 28th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

please help choosing

hello gang ive been reading and reading and ive come to a hault with my choice to make...

the rode ntg-2 is avaiable for sale at my local shop

"and ive read nothing but good things about this "

Shure SM89 - a local second hand sale is available

"cant find anything to read about it "
----------------------------------------------------------

at this point those are my two choices. however i have read alot of good about

choice 3 audio technica at 4073a

choice 4 senheiser me66 k6
----------------------------------------------------

this mic is being bought to go on a boom with a shock mount that already have. it will be being used outdoors to work on a sports themed feature film that i have written.
any help would be great thanks
MEKHAEL
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Mekhael.......

I'm sure that if you got a 1000 replies to your question, you'd get a 1000 answers, all different. Everybody has their favourites or what they know or whatever.

Every mic you mentioned does the job, has it's strengths and weaknesses, but hey, this doesn't sound like Spielberg doing another Star Wars.

My suggestion? Pick something that connects to your camera, you can afford along with the windproofing it's going to need if used outdoors, fits the boom fitting and go get on with it.

There comes a point where debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin becomes a serious waste of time.

IMHO.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekhael Trepanier View Post
hello gang ive been reading and reading and ive come to a hault with my choice to make...
You've got to give us more information on your requirements:

1) What is your price range?

2) Did you bugdet for windprotection (blimp)?

3) Does your shotgun mic need to have the ability to be self-powered (two of your selections are able to be battery powered)?

4) How close will you be able to get the shotgun to the source?

If you forced me to make a choice of the Shotguns that you listed...I'd probably lean towards the AT 4073a.

Maybe someone could give you some input on the Shure. I haven't used it.

The ME66 is bottom of the barrel. Sennheiser has much better options than this entry level mic.

There are other good options...but, if they don't meet your bugdget constraints...it wouldn't do you any good to recommend them.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

hi guys
thanks for the two replys

chris i get where your comming from. it took me a long time with the debate over the camera purchase finally i picked one and i couldnt be happier with the chocie i made, but like you say there comes a time when you just need to start. i agree everyone has there own opinions on product. mics is something other then holding above the tallents head for sound i really dont know a whole lot about.

JIM.

as far as budget is concerned the ones i listed are what i can afford. as far as outdoor wind protection goes. adding a "dead cat" is about as much as i had in mind to get into.
based on my research all the mics ive chosen will fit into the shock mount that i have already purchased.

i should be able to get as close to the subject as i can for the majority of the voiced scenes as alot of them are planned to filmed "tight" but for generalization i think a range of 2-10 feet from the voice would be what im working with for the project.

im shooting a JVC HD 100 so the mic will be XLR connected.

im sorry i really dont understand the true difference between a mic that powers off the camera or one with its own power supply.

theres lots to read on here about
rode ntg-2
and audio technica 4073 a

i found what i belive to be a good buy on a second one the SHURE SM 89. but this is the one mic im having a hard time finding some feedback on.

any help is always aprechaited

thanks

MEKHAEL
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

hello gang i found myself a decent price on a rode ntg -2 and ive bought it.
this will be my sound device
thanks for the help in this thread
MEKHAEL
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio