Mixing hastily recorded voice-over with well-recorded music. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Mixing hastily recorded voice-over with well-recorded music.

I recorded a voice-over at the last minute using my MacBook built-in Mic. It's pretty clear, but understandably thin. It's supposed to be mixed over a piece of music that was recorded pretty well - very full sound, heavy bass. I'm having a difficult time getting the voice-over to compress enough such that I can amplify it without distortion and clipping. I'm using Audacity and Peak. Here's the voice-over with an mp3 of the music for reference.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X1Q2T1AC

How should I go about doing this?
Allen Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't know what you're using for monitors, but computer speakers can't be trusted for mixing.

You can get very usable results with the right mic and a computer. A Rode VideoMic works.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Ty's great advice notwithstanding, I'm assuming you had one shot at this and this is what you got (if that's not true and you can get a better recording of this, then I definitely recommend that you go for it!).

I think what you're probably going to want to do is to cut a "notch" in the upper midrange frequencies of your music so that the voice recording won't have to compete with them. Here's an old thread on this site that will help you figure out which frequencies are most important to emphasize with both the music and the voiceover.

I wouldn't expect amazing results no matter what you do, but if you EQ smartly, you can likely at least get pretty close to an approximation of intelligibility. :)
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #4
New Boot

the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/v/lqn8Ky4tEn8

here's the final result. adding a second track of super compressed dialogue really helped bring out the consonants. it's kind of harsh, but that's what i wanted anyways. thanks!

i'm definitely giving "special thanks" to this forum when this project is finally done.
Allen Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

HI Allen,

The voicetrack doesn't sound like a movie trailer because:

I can hear a LOT of room bounce.

(Sorry) You are not a movie vo guy.

If you really want that sound, you have to use the right ingredisnts in the recipe.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio