Which wireless system with phantom power? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Which wireless system with phantom power?

I'm looking for a wireless system with an XLR plug-in transmitter. The problem is that my shotgun microphone (NTG-1) is phantom power only. The only plug-in transmitters I have found that supply 48v are the Sennheiser SKP500, and the Azden 51XT. The complete kit that includes the SKP500 is $905. The Azden kit is only $665, and that's dual channel (comes with a bodypack and the 51XT). Basically two Azden receivers (in one case) and two Azden transmitters are less expensive than one of Sennheiser transmitter and receiver. So, should I go for the cheaper Azden or the Sennheiser? Are there other plug-in transmitters that supply 48v phantom power? (besides Lecro, 'cause those are like $1500.)
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Well I can't tell you which wireless unit you should buy,
But I can tell you that I have an Azden... Sitting in my Attic!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Major Player

From what I have read on this board, the Azden systems aren't very good compared to other UHF systems. It hasn't been stated why, but people seem to prefer the Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, and Lectrosonics. The problem is I can't find an AT plug-in that provides phantom power. The AT system that DOES have an XLR plug-in (the ATWU102) is cheaper than the Azden and Sennheiser, but it doesn't say if it provides phantom or not.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
From what I have read on this board, the Azden systems aren't very good compared to other UHF systems. It hasn't been stated why, but people seem to prefer the Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, and Lectrosonics. The problem is I can't find an AT plug-in that provides phantom power. The AT system that DOES have an XLR plug-in (the ATWU102) is cheaper than the Azden and Sennheiser, but it doesn't say if it provides phantom or not.
the plug in that comes with the AT 1800 series provides phantom power, I think up to 12 volts..not sure what the NTG-1 needs ... the AT specs are on their site though .. go to the page for the product you want and then click the PDF link for the product specs .. easy to find
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Major Player

you can always use a battery powered external phantom supply with any rf transmitter. not as sexy, but it works...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern View Post
...I think up to 12 volts..not sure what the NTG-1 needs ...
In the NTG-1 manual it says "P48 Phantom, 44 V to 52 V." So does that mean the 1800 plug-in won't provide enough power? I thought 48V was the standard. On AT's site it has a manual for their 1800 series single channel receiver (ATW-R1810), but I don't see it on B&H yet. In fact the individual dual receiver and individual XLR plug-in are listed as "Coming Soon," even though the full system is available. I guess I'll wait for the single channel system (assuming it is less expensive, and that the plug-in will work with my mic.)
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Major Player

P48 is a standard, but a lot of the newer designs will run on as little as 6V. As a result power supplies seem to be heading down in voltage output. I wish we could say "P12" or something was a new standard everyone could gather around. If your mic requires 44-52V, and many of the older or better capsule designs do, then you need a true P48 supply.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Looks like I'm going to need to Lectro UH400A. Or the Azden 51XT, but no one seem to like them (Azden.)
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #9

Wow! Talk about extremes...Lectrosonics or Azden? At the risk of sounding condescending...that's like saying "either I need a Humvee or rollerskates to go over that steep hill."

The AT will power the NGT1. I have one.
The 1800 is a great system. So far, I've not run into any issues, but to be as neutral as I can be, I've now talked to two sound mixers that have had issues (both fairly minor) in two very disparate parts of the USA.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Looks like I'm going to need to Lectro UH400A. Or the Azden 51XT, but no one seem to like them (Azden.)
The straight poop on the Azden is.... That the audio quality is lacking to say the least.

Entry-level systems from Lectrosonics, Audio Technica, and Sennheiser, far surpass the sonic quality of the most expensive Azden.

The only time I might get the Azden out of the attic, is when a producer needs a wireless audio monitor from the sound cart.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
I believe that Azden does have a new model coming out in July...but, from your original question and your apparent price range...

I would lean toward the Sennheiser. It's going to give you a better frequency response, working range, and most importantly a better signal to noise ratio.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Entry-level systems from Lectrosonics, Audio Technica, and Sennheiser, far surpass the sonic quality of the most expensive Azden.
That's what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Wow! Talk about extremes...Lectrosonics or Azden? At the risk of sounding condescending...that's like saying "either I need a Humvee or rollerskates to go over that steep hill."
That's what I was going for. The two systems that will power my mic are at the opposite ends of quality. But then you said the AT works, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
The AT will power the NGT1. I have one.
...the AT 1800 is a contender. It looks like it is between the Sennheiser SKP500, and the Audio-Technica ATW-1812 (when it comes out). The SKP500G2 specs say that it will work with any G2 receiver, so could I save some money and get the EK100G2 receiver? The 500 series plugin and receiver kit is $904, but the SKP500 plugin and EK100 receiver separately is $785. Then again, the MSRP for the ATW-A1812 is $720. Should I wait for that? Thanks for all your help.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
...The SKP500G2 specs say that it will work with any G2 receiver, so could I save some money and get the EK100G2 receiver?...
Yes, the 500/100 combos work fine. Do pay attention to the frequency ranges of the systems if you buy them separately. If I remember, Sennheiser sells 3 different ranges for the US.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I recommend a Denecke PS-1A (48v phantom with belt clip, reliable, clean . . about $150) and a good prosumer wireless, like the Sennheiser G2.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #15
Major Player

lectrosonics uh 400 will work the best
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio