DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Suppressing crazy sibilance, TR-50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/96011-suppressing-crazy-sibilance-tr-50-a.html)

Abe Dolinger June 7th, 2007 10:03 AM

Suppressing crazy sibilance, TR-50

So . . shooting a reality/doc, and the host's S sounds are really prominent. My limiters go nuts even when her voice is not that high. It sounds a bit like a burst of static and I'm worried the post sound guy is going to have a lot of work on his hands. I have the stock windscreen on the TR-50 I'm using. Is there anything I can do now? Is this the type of problem that typically has to be mixed out in post?

Thanks again, all.

Ty Ford June 7th, 2007 02:02 PM

Abe,

Some folks (mostly women) can be WAY over sibilant.

There are de-esser plugins that help. If you look at the wave form, you'll see very, very, dense waves.

Also, if you can select them carefully and drop the level by 12 dB (or more) just for them, you might be OK.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Jim Boda June 7th, 2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abe Dolinger (Post 693371)
So . . shooting a reality/doc, and the host's S sounds are really prominent. My limiters go nuts even when her voice is not that high. It sounds a bit like a burst of static and I'm worried the post sound guy is going to have a lot of work on his hands. I have the stock windscreen on the TR-50 I'm using. Is there anything I can do now? Is this the type of problem that typically has to be mixed out in post?

Thanks again, all.

Where is the mic being mounted (distance and location from mouth) and what method of mounting is used (Vamp clip, regular clip, or hidden under clothing)? And what Equipment is being used throughout the signal path (wireless, mixer, receiver, camera)?

My initial reaction is that I'd want to try a different mic that has more of a "flat response" characteristic. Of course, you can deal with the problem in post...but I'd want to improve the front end audio as much as possible. Knowing more about your setup might give us a better clue on how to improve the front end.

Abe Dolinger June 7th, 2007 03:21 PM

Ty - agreed. I'm glad you think it won't be too much of a problem in post. Is this a typical situation for a post sound mixer?

Jim, the mic is usually on a regular clip about 6 inches blow the chin, in the center of the breastbone. It's usually under one cotton shirt or equivalent. Signal path is TR-50 -> Sennheiser G2 -> SD302 -> Sony HVR-Z1U. I've been using the Tram because I think it's not as bright as other mics, but I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Jim Boda June 7th, 2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abe Dolinger (Post 693545)
...Jim, the mic is usually on a regular clip about 6 inches blow the chin, in the center of the breastbone. It's usually under one cotton shirt or equivalent. Signal path is TR-50 -> Sennheiser G2 -> SD302 -> Sony HVR-Z1U. I've been using the Tram because I think it's not as bright as other mics, but I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Things you could try...

1) Tape the mic directly to her chest between the breast's (top) with surgical tape.

2) Vamp clip the mic higher closer to the throat under the chin.

3) Another mic....Sanken COS 11 or Countryman B6

4) Lower the sensitivity of the Sennheiser transimitter

5) Don't use low-cut filter on 302

6) Give talent lots of water

Bill Davis June 7th, 2007 05:57 PM

Along with the other good suggestions, you might try something like a Shure ECM-44b. It's has a LOT less top end sensitivity then other Lavs (and it's a LOT cheaper too)

It's also generally less sensitive. Which can be a good thing when you're close micing a talent with a lav.

It's often my "go to" lav for splashy sounding talent and for multiple open mic situations where sensitivity and reach can lead to cross-talk.

It's a bigger capsule, so a little harder to hide, but the sonic characteristic might help you out here.

FWIW.