DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Pitfalls buying demo monitors? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/96072-pitfalls-buying-demo-monitors.html)

Steve House June 8th, 2007 04:05 AM

Pitfalls buying demo monitors?

The taxman was kind to me and my bank account this year and I'm planning on purchasing a pair of JBLPRO LSR4328p monitors within the next week. The shop I'm most likely to go thru is an audio vendor who specializes in the professional broadcast, recording studio, and film production markets. They have a pair of these monitors on their Protools demo console that have been in light use for about 8 months and I can save about $300 by purchasing the demo units rather than ordering brand new. If they were a big-box music store selling units off the showroom floor I'd worry about someone having poked a finger into a tweeter dome or something like that but these folks don't really deal with the general public and 99% of the people visiting their showrooms are audio pros, music producers, and engineers who aren't likely to have done something stupid to the speaks. The vendor claims these monitors are in "excellent condition." Assuming I'd get the full JBL manufacturers warrantee, does anyone hear any alarm bells going off over this deal? Any suggestions about things to watch out for that might not be obvious? Or should I just bite the bullet and pop for the extra 300 and be safe?

Jim Boda June 8th, 2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 693824)
... Any suggestions about things to watch out for that might not be obvious? Or should I just bite the bullet and pop for the extra 300 and be safe?

Well that's a tough judgement call. It's always tough for people to keep their hands off the demos and to crank the volume a little louder.

But, in the end you have to trust your ears. Give it a thorough inspection and make sure that it's wired up properly and is on a protected power source.

If it sounds better than a new set of Tannoys, then go for it.

Steve House June 8th, 2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Boda (Post 693842)
Well that's a tough judgement call. It's always tough for people to keep their hands off the demos and to crank the volume a little louder.

But, in the end you have to trust your ears. Give it a thorough inspection and make sure that it's wired up properly and is on a protected power source.

If it sounds better than a new set of Tannoys, then go for it.

They do sound very good indeed. In fact, A/B's them with a some K&H O300's (about $8K a pair!) and to my un-golden ears they sounded mighty damned close.

Brad Kraus June 8th, 2007 08:36 AM

Well, if you are buying them from an authorized dealer, then they will still come with full manufacturer's warrantee. So if they sound fine (see how they sound at higher volume, this is where you can easily tell if the voice coils are damaged), then get 'em and save yourself the $300!

Allan Black June 28th, 2007 05:26 AM

Steve, usual things, check for any cabinet damage, examine the speaker mounting screws to see they're not reconed jobs. Take off fronts and check each cone has full travel.

Can you demo 'em at home to hear what they sound like with your amp in your acoustic? If you get 'em, rotate the speakers in the cabs 180 degrees every four/six months, to alleviate cone sag.

Brian Keith Moody June 28th, 2007 07:42 AM

I’ve never heard of any store giving you the full warranty on used products – and these are used products. Once a product comes out of the box (and used no less), a store can no longer sell it as new. It’s against the law. Demo or floor merchandise is generally sold “as is” and the most you’re likely to get for a warranty is 30 days (90 if you are lucky). See if they'll let you purchase additional warranty if they offer only 30 or 90 days. Ask and get it in writing. If you can get only a 30 day warranty with no warranty purchase option, and you trust the store, then go for it.