DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   audio-technica 700 series? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/96551-audio-technica-700-series.html)

Lisa Bennett June 14th, 2007 02:26 PM

audio-technica 700 series?

Can someone tell me any info about :

Audio-TechnicaŽ 700 Series UHF Wireless Microphone System - Handheld

Will it work with the jvc gy-hd100u without a mixer? I have some handheld eng work to do and looking for a basic good hand held.

I also located:

Sennheiser EW165P-B and Audio Technic ATW-1812D.

Thank you
Lisa

Doug Lange June 15th, 2007 12:35 AM

It is difficult to do ENG when you are tethered to an AC outlet. Look for a battery operated model such as:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wl...38b/index.html

The Sennheiser G2 series is very popular...
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/21418
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/21415

The Audio-Technica is less money but you get what you pay for. I have had OK luck with the AT Pro88 but when I use it, I stay close and I live in Alasks.

Can you get a wired mic with a 20ft cable? If you are going handheld, this is the way to go. Conventional audio wisdom states that wired is the best and only use wireless when necessary.

Lots of advice in other previous threads, too.

Lisa Bennett June 15th, 2007 12:45 PM

Hi Doug,

I don't know of any reason why we couldn't use a wired mic. I guess I just had wireless in my head and figured it was the way to go. We'll be walking around at times to find people to interview but at least if wired I wouldn't have to worry about getting a good quality signal. So you're suggesting a wired mic xlr straight to camera like a low impedance dynamic mic?

I just located a vtech vt-1040 600ohm unidirectional dynamic mic. Only one end of the cable is xlr but I have another cable with xlr on both ends that can be swapped. I searched through the mics we have at the church and I'm wondering if this vtech will do the job for now. What's your thoughts on it?

Thank you,
Lisa

Don Bloom June 15th, 2007 01:43 PM

The Shure SM63 ($130.00) the Shure 635 (about the same I believe) or the Electrovoice RE50 (also about the same) and a 20 foot XLR cable would give you wonderful audio for not all that much money. They're all very solid mics that are versatile and strong and can be used with a wireless pluging transmitter at a later date. I swear by my SM63 for news type interviews. I use it wired whenever possible as a lot of the stuff I do is in hotels and there could be interference problems going wireless BUT if need be it works great with the plugin for wireless work.

Don

Lisa Bennett June 15th, 2007 04:01 PM

Hi Don,

The location I'm going to has alot of hotels so the wired I think will work best and then I won't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the info oon the 2 models. I'll look into it. So you're using one wired straight in to camera xlr and no mixer?

Thank you
Lisa

Don Bloom June 15th, 2007 05:42 PM

nope no mixer.The only time I use one is if its a multi mic setup and I'm not moving around. IE a seminar. I did one the other day for example-4 mics into the mixer-they wanted to use the house speakers so 1 line into that and one back to the camera. Done! For interviewing though I don't use a mixer as Im usually roving around and can't be tied down to a electrical outlet and since I'm a one mane band I don't have a sound guy trailing after me to handle the portable mixer so it's straight into the camera and adjust the levels if and as needed.
Pretty straightforward.

Don

Lisa Bennett June 15th, 2007 09:57 PM

Hi Don,

That seems to be the way I need to go on this particular project, too. Are you broadcasting any of your projects?

Do you mainly shoot seminars? For now this eng style project is a volunteer thing that could at somepoint provide some payment. I'm interested in also locating some work to perhaps tape conferences/seminars, etc. Is it pretty tricky trying to get clients for this type of work? I now have this jvc gy-hd100u and want to get myself working. Which camera are you using?

Nice to know you.

Best Regards,
Lisa

Don Bloom June 16th, 2007 06:00 AM

Broadcasting as in TV? No not any more. Broadcasting as in live on screens during a seminar, yes, I do that quite often depending on the clients wishes and budget.
As for getting seminar clients that is an art in itself. Some clients deal directly with me-some I've been doing work for them for 15 years or so. Others I get hired thru the hotel AV department. They know me and what I do and hire me strictly to do camera work. Sometimes with and sometimes without equipment. So 1 must have a good idea of how to run other cameras besides your own. Others I get hired on as a crew member for an AV Production company to set up a show, Engineer the show then strike the show. I get paid rather decently in any case and frankly don't mind setup and strike (well I do actually but...) because the money is good.
My own personal camera is a DSR250 but I use what is right for the job. It might be a DXC30 with a big ole honkin' lens on it or it might be a DSR500 or it might be a Panasonic 195 VHS as I did the other day. Thats what the client wanted-VHS tapes for their archive so thats what they got. BTW most of these do not require me to edit although some do.
Doing what you want to do requires hustle, hustle and more hustle to get clients. Keep out there, meet people, talk to everyone hand out cards. Noone can hire you or talk to you about doing a job if they don't know who you are and what you do. Go to the hotels and talk to the head of the AV department and find out what they do when they need camera ops. Be ready for lots of turndowns as they have their own list of favorites be it in house or out. BUT all it takes is 1 or 2.
Good luck

Don

Lisa Bennett June 16th, 2007 03:49 PM

Hi Don,

Checking with hotel AV departments is good advice. Thank you for providing some guidance on this. I'm located near Daytona and there are many potential places for business where they have seminars/conventions.

The project I'm working on now is a youth oriented program which upfront doesn't provide revenue. I'm wanting to locate some free lance work and this might be an option.

Well, thank you again and hope we can converse again soon.

Best Regards,
Lisa