DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Syncing a PD-6 & HVX? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/96882-syncing-pd-6-hvx.html)

Chris Hocking June 19th, 2007 06:54 AM

Syncing a PD-6 & HVX?

Hello Audio Gurus!

Has anyone had any luck syncing a Fostex PD-6 to a Panasonic HVX? As far as I can tell, the HVX doesn't have any real method of getting timecode in or out of it. I know you can get hold of "magic boxes" that convert LANC to Timecode, but as it's a Panasonic product, well, no LANC! It also seems all the "Aux Outs" of the HVX don't contain time-code data (only focus, zoom, etc. control) which is unfortunate. Is there a "firewire to LTC" converter out there?

The only thing that springs to mind is taking the TC Output of the Fostex and recording the data onto the audio track of the HVX. But does any software exist that can process this data and actually sync up the audio? I doubt it.

The PD-6 has a video input, so I should be able to lock the HVX black-burst to it, but that doesn't solve the timecode problem.

Anyone got any cool ideas?

Thanks!

Chris!

Chris Hocking June 19th, 2007 07:52 AM

I just discovered this program:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=26

It sounds very interesting! Anyone used it before?

In theory it solves all my issues.

Steve House June 19th, 2007 08:53 AM

Timecode in a DV workflow is mainly to establish a common reference point to line up picture and sound in the editor. You can do it almost as easily manually with an old-fashioned clapstick slate. It does NOT prevent 'sync drift' caused by the audio and video samples clocks running at slightly different rates. But is the recorder accepts video and syncs its sample clock to the embedded blackburst, you've got the drift issue covered. Simple slate at the start of each take will give you the lineup point.

Chris Hocking June 19th, 2007 04:13 PM

Yeah, a slate WILL work, and either way a slate will still be used for backup purposes if nothing else, however, why do it manually when the technology exists to do it automatically?

Steve House June 19th, 2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hocking (Post 699267)
Yeah, a slate WILL work, and either way a slate will still be used for backup purposes if nothing else, however, why do it manually when the technology exists to do it automatically?

One could also say, why do it the complicated and expensive technology way when the old-fashioned and far cheaper manual method is just as effective, just as effortless, and just as reliable?

If you want the advantages of timecode and there's a problem getting code out of the camera, why not do it film style. The Fostex serves as the timecode master. You jam a smartslate from the Fostex and use it to slate each take. When you import the video clip into your NLE you position the frames with the slate so the displayed timecode numbers align to the timeline. When you import the sound BWF it will align the file header timestamp to the same numbers in the timeline and sound and picture should match. As I mentioned before, sending video from the camera to the recorder will slave the sample clocks together so they will stay in sync over the shot. Continuous timecode between camera and recorder may establish sync at the start of each take but it doesn't do anything to maintain sync over the duration of the shot and sync drift over longer shots is usually a far greater post headache than establishing initial sync to begin with.

Chris Hocking June 19th, 2007 08:21 PM

Some very good points Steve - as always...

You're right. A smart slate is probably a much more suitable option...

Although, I still like the idea of trying to automate it if it works reliably and isn't too expensive to implement. Obviously, I just like doing things the tricky way because it's "cool"...

Thanks for your advice!

Chris!