ProCo iFace at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1
New Boot

ProCo iFace

Hello, I'm going to start projecting video at wedding receptions and looking to buy some gear. Among the list is a direct box to allow me to convert unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR to make 50' runs to DJ mixers. I found a unit from ProCo called the iFace

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--PRCIFACE
Description: Stereo mini (1/8 in.) input jack and individual RCA left and right input jacks. Transformer-isolated XLR male outputs. Stereo/mono switch.

It doesn't appear to be externally powered so it probably doesn't offer a ground lift. Do you think that will be a problem? The source is a consumer DVD player with stereo RCA output. I guess another idea is to use a Y cable and then send to the DJ using a ProCo AV1 single channel direct box. I'm fairly knowledgeable with audio equipment but have virtually no experience in this area. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!
Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Have a look at the Matchbox by Henry Engineering.

Good Luck with your project!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Brad,

The ProCo device you are looking is good, but a ground lift is a very desirable option when dealing with audio system components that may be operating at different ground potentials or ground sources. But a device does not have to be active in order to have a ground lift switch.

You might want to look at www.cablefactory.com, or http://www.radialeng.com/di-jpc.htm for the type of box that you are looking for. The Radial box is a great box using very high quality transformers in a bullet proof chassis. I believe they retail for about $200.00 US. The Cable Factory DI-PRO-PC is a multi-media box that I have used often and offers ground lifts. Lundahl transformers, which are very high quality are used in all Cable Factory boxes.

A good isolation/direct box is worth it's cost as it can save you much grief when attempting to interface consumer level audio signal with pro gear.

Hope it helps.

Good luck.

Lance
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you both for the suggestions. I decided to go with the ProCo AV1 to take DVD audio from RCA and drop it to balanced mic level to travel to the DJ booth. On the receiving end, I also purchased an ART CleanBOX 2-Way Stereo Converter to bring it back to unbalanced RCA line level. Both have ground lifts so I can isloate the transformer from causing any hum. I figure most DJ mixers will have more RCA inputs than mic inputs. Does that sound like a good plan? Thanks again.
Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio