Limiter and wireless gain settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Limiter and wireless gain settings?

I have very limited experience with wireless units, but the last time I used one I noticed that the gain settings on the transmitter acted something like a limiter on peaks. Maybe it's the compander or something. You could definitely overload it, but it seemed pretty forgiving. So my question is should I use the limiter on my SD302 mixer when using it with wireless, or just figure where the transmitter overloads and keep an eye on the mixer's meter? It's too bad there's no headphone jack on the transmitter (AT1800), so I don't really know what's getting sent to the camera. I would hate for the compander to be doing it's thing when the limiter engages. It seems like the audio would get squished twice. Oh, and in case it's not clear, for this setup the receiver will be mounted on the camera and I'll be connecting to the transmitter using a mic level output from the SD302.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
I have very limited experience with wireless units, but the last time I used one I noticed that the gain settings on the transmitter acted something like a limiter on peaks. Maybe it's the compander or something. You could definitely overload it, but it seemed pretty forgiving. So my question is should I use the limiter on my SD302 mixer when using it with wireless, or just figure where the transmitter overloads and keep an eye on the mixer's meter? It's too bad there's no headphone jack on the transmitter (AT1800), so I don't really know what's getting sent to the camera. I would hate for the compander to be doing it's thing when the limiter engages. It seems like the audio would get squished twice. Oh, and in case it's not clear, for this setup the receiver will be mounted on the camera and I'll be connecting to the transmitter using a mic level output from the SD302.
You need to dial in both the transmitter and receiver. I'm not sure if the AT1800 allows you to do that. Lectronsonics has an LED level meter that allows you to adjust the volume accordingly. Sennheiser allows you to electronically pad down the volume at the transmitter.

I always have the limiter on w/ the Sound Devices mixers. Adjust it so that it only kicks in when you really need it to in order to get maximum headroom. The SD302 has a input limiter and output limiter.

Get the level adjusted properly along the entire pathway for best sound quality.

Since your using wireless as a feed to the camera, send tone through the setup to make sure that both transmitter and receiver are dialed in and not squashing the signal. The SD limiters are good quality and reliable. It's much better to use those on the front end then end up with the wireless system processing the signal.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I do know the receiver has an output gain knob, but don't have the system yet. The transmitter appears to have four input settings. So, are you saying I should have the limiter set to engage just before the LED peak indicator starts blinking?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio