Wireless Mic recommendation request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Mic recommendation request

As I slowly fill in the parts of my compact equipment list, I'm beginning to experience the limitations of my Rode VideoMic and need to add a wireless lav kit to my gear for the Solo Video Journalism work I am producing.

Looking at the prices has my pocketbook convulsing, but have found some that fit within my budget and wanted to get some feedback on what I have found. I have no experience with wireless lav setups and I am sure the higher priced ones offer additional features, etc, but I am just starting out with this and want to get some experience with a wireless setup before making a huge investment.

First off, what is difference between UHF and VHF wireless systems??? Do I need to add a Beachtek adapter to this kit as well? I'm shooting with a pair of SONY TRV950's currently if that helps.

Here are my picks that fit within my budget from B&H.

UHF:
Samson UM1/77 Series

VHF:
Audio-Technica W88-13-829
Azden 111LT Producer Series
Azden WLX-PRO/I
Sony WCS-999

Any advice/other recommendations within that price ranges of the setups above would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #2
New Boot

For what its worth I use both UHF and VHF Radios (Pro grade UHF, Marine VHF's) and the reception on the UHF radios is much better then a VHF over the same Distance (approx. 1/2 mile over crowded harbor [Port Jefferson]). VHF = Very High Freq. vs. UHF=Ultra High Freq. Based on that I'd get the Samson based upon the fact that it's the only UHF mic on your list. I haven't had any experince with Samson's mics though hopefully some one will chime in on that. FWIW again, Shure and Audio-Technica make good products but they're at a higher cost.... But I'd reccomend getting a UHF mic system no matter what brand it is.

Hope that helps,

Jimmy
James McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I posted on another forum seeking advice and some of the comments stated that a wireless lav mic should only be a last resort...

Having to do with re-allocation of the spectrum band to be implemented soon - is wireless really considered a last resort - I shoot the majority of the time out in the field
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel View Post
I posted on another forum seeking advice and some of the comments stated that a wireless lav mic should only be a last resort...

Having to do with re-allocation of the spectrum band to be implemented soon - is wireless really considered a last resort - I shoot the majority of the time out in the field
Haven't heard anything about a spectrum re-allocation but I wouldn't know anything about that! :) True a wired connection will almost always be better but when you're on a crowded street in NYC or any other big city it might make better sense to go wireless. It all depends where and how you shoot. IF you're never more then 2 feet away from the camera a wireless system may be unnessay but if you're walking around reporting it may make more sense. Personally I've not had too many problems with my wireless systems mind you they are not designed for camera use! :)
If I'm not making any sense just ask my to clarify :) It's gonna be a long nite for me :(

Jimmy
James McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

the reallocation that has been talked about is to my knowledge just that. Talk at least for now. If anything were to happen to the freq ranges that everyone uses including TV stations I think it will be far enough down the road that investing in a decent UHF wireless at this time would not be a wasted investment. Just my opinion.

As for VHF vs UHF, in my experience go with UHF as the freqs are less likely to be interfered with in most situations.

As for brand, well I use Azden 500UDRs (2 Sets) for about 6 years without problems of any sort HOWEVER, the AZDEN VHF stuff I would stay away from. For about $500 to $600 you can pretty well have a choice of most any units out there except for Lectros, the new AT1800 dual and Zaxcom.
Sennheiser 100, AT100s, Sonys and Azden 500 are all fairly compareable.
Your money your choice.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio