Microphone mountable sound barrier ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 28th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Microphone mountable sound barrier ?

I mean stand mountable (edited later)

I'm looking at a low-profile device that will absorb room reflections around a microphone. I remember reading in "Electronic Musician" about two of those products that are U-shaped and can be mounted on the microphone stand to absorb unwanted room reflections. They were in the $200-300 range, I think. I just can't even come up with search terms that work. I've seen some nice "voice box" DIY kits with Auralex, but I'm looking for a portable solution.

Thanks !

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; June 28th, 2007 at 10:55 AM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Major Player

You're not thinking of parabolic reflectors, are you?:

http://www.mineroff.com/nature/parabolic.htm

Not really to absorb unwanted room reflections, rather to focus the wanted signal onto the microphone capsule.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer View Post
You're not thinking of parabolic reflectors, are you?:

http://www.mineroff.com/nature/parabolic.htm

Not really to absorb unwanted room reflections, rather to focus the wanted signal onto the microphone capsule.
That's good to know. The device I'm looking for has several layers of sound absorptive material and is an extruded U or V shape. Gotta find it.
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi

You probably mean the reflektion damping shields for microphones. They are made by SE Electronics, and they are quite usefull. I have use one for voiceovers. Not as good as a booth, but very flexible. Take a look at:

http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

Rgds
JOSS

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Trustee

I've got one of those SE units. Works well and sure as heck looks impressive.
Don't try to use it on a typical mic stand though, it is quite heavy so we mount ours on a light stand which works very well.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd opt for a better mic with a tighter pattern first.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Svendsen View Post
Yes, that's it ! Many thanks for the link. Also, I saw a competitor's product in either Electronic Musician or DV mag with a larger barrier for about $100 less. Gotta find that one, too.
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Yes, that's it ! Many thanks for the link. Also, I saw a competitor's product in either Electronic Musician or DV mag with a larger barrier for about $100 less. Gotta find that one, too.
Looks like the product works by absorbing high frequencies and diffusing some of the upper mids at the source in a close mic situation. Just curious, what is your application for this product?
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Ethan Winer has done some interesting tests using the SE Reflexion filter and his own product....finding the SE product colors the sound. check out his site at http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
Ethan Winer has done some interesting tests using the SE Reflexion filter and his own product....finding the SE product colors the sound. check out his site at http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
The RealTrap is the other product. Cool.

Anyway, my application is just to have an unobstrusive, portable sound barrier that I wouldn't hesitate to pack in the car for road trips. Given the rave review I remember reading in Electronic Musician, I'd like to find out if these products are better (both in absorption and coloration) than an open sound box I could construct with cardboard/plywood and Auralex or money spent on microphones with tighter pickup patterns. In any case, I'd like something that would attenuate low frequencies from highway noises as often, I don't have time to alter the recording environment or opportunity to choose a better location.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio