Sound devices 442 vs. Sony DMX-P01 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sound devices 442 vs. Sony DMX-P01

Hi. I'd like to hear comments from experienced sound techs in their opinion of these two mixers. I'll be purchasing one soon, and originally had my heart on the Sony DMX-P01. Last weekend I rented the Sound Devices 442, and really enjoyed the ergonomics and functionality of it. (Once you figure out the set-up via dancing lights, it's easy)

Anyone?

Thanks.
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Tough one. Do you need AES/EBU output?

I really like my 442. If I were to buy today, I'd probably buy a 302 for lighter weight simpler gigs.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, I've used neither. Have used the MixPre and the MM-1. I wasn't even aware of the Sony. I haven't seen the Sony displayed or sold at Sound shops specializing in film/video or ENG sound. Sound Devices have the Lundahl transformers on the inputs, transformers on outputs..... totally isolation from RF. Adds some warmth to the sound too. I think you could run over the 442 with a truck and it nothing would happen to it.
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio