DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Finding the best+cheapest way to connect NTG-1 with HV20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/98433-finding-best-cheapest-way-connect-ntg-1-hv20.html)

Reese Leysen July 8th, 2007 02:42 AM

Finding the best+cheapest way to connect NTG-1 with HV20

Connecting the Rode NTG-1 with the HV20 would require an adapter such as the Beachtek DXA-6 that provides phantom power.

However, this is much more expensive than the DXA-2 that I can get a hold of, which does not provide phantom power. But I think this 'phantom adapter' from http://www.aevox.be/ should fix that and this would be a far cheaper solution in total.

I phoned Aevox and they told me that the mic just has to support being powered by a 1.5v battery.

Should this work?

Ty Ford July 8th, 2007 05:28 AM

If you had bought the NTG2, you'd be golden. It operates on a single AA cell.

The modeule you refer to might work, but unless they include XLR cable, you end up having to get special cables.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Reese Leysen July 8th, 2007 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 708693)
If you had bought the NTG2, you'd be golden. It operates on a single AA cell.

The modeule you refer to might work, but unless they include XLR cable, you end up having to get special cables.

Regards,

Ty Ford

It doesn't seem to require special XLR cables, just a male and female on the sides.

And I would guess this would have the same effect as putting the battery in an NTG-2.

Ty Ford July 8th, 2007 06:56 AM

Ah, the picture is deceptive.

It looks like a min XLR connector. That's a prettty big chunk of metal to deal with, but OK. How many hours of operation for the NTG-1 on the batttery?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Reese Leysen July 8th, 2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 708712)
Ah, the picture is deceptive.

It looks like a min XLR connector. That's a prettty big chunk of metal to deal with, but OK. How many hours of operation for the NTG-1 on the batttery?

Regards,

Ty Ford

How long the NTG-1 would work on the battery? I have no clue, if batteries run out in an hour or two, we'll just use lots of batteries :) .

Steve House July 8th, 2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reese Leysen (Post 708784)
How long the NTG-1 would work on the battery? I have no clue, if batteries run out in an hour or two, we'll just use lots of batteries :) .

The NTG-1 requires 48v phantom power to function and does not have an internal battery power option.

On careful reading of the website at the link you posted, the adapter you were looking at from Aevox does not appear to provide phantom power. If you look at the rest of the page you'll see that that company makes a variety of mics and the first paragraph on the page says they're powered by the "plugin power" found on consumer recorders and cameras. "Plug-in power" is ~5v, not the 48v of phantom. The adapter description says that it is intended to let you use their mics with pro mixers and such that provide 48v, so obviously its function is to reduce the applied 48v phantom power down to the 5v plug-in power their mics require, or to provide that same 5v to their mics from a AA battery. Nowhere does it suggest that it can be used to provide 48v to a mic that needs it such as the NTG-1.

As an aside I'd give anyhing on that page a pass. Those mics seem a pretty expensive yet the vendor supplies virtually no specifications beyond "superb 3D sound" (whatever the heck THAT means!) and "deep natural low." If you're going to pay pro level prices you should go with a vendor that provides the sort of detailed specifications such as you'd get from Sennheiser, A/T, Rode, Sanken, Countryman, etc.

Ty Ford July 8th, 2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reese Leysen (Post 708784)

Reese,

I can't believe you didn't look on their site. :)

Battery Life:
>400 hours with fresh alkaline battery.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Reese Leysen July 8th, 2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 708846)
Reese,

I can't believe you didn't look on their site. :)

Battery Life:
>400 hours with fresh alkaline battery.

Regards,

Ty Ford

That's for the NTG-2 with its battery, nobody knows how long the NTG-1 would do with a battery through this adapter, if at all. (probably not)

Steve House July 9th, 2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reese Leysen (Post 708860)
That's for the NTG-2 with its battery, nobody knows how long the NTG-1 would do with a battery through this adapter, if at all. (probably not)

I don't believe the adapter you're looking at on the Aevox site will supply power to the NTG-1 at all, thus the battery life will be zero.