DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Using both Line level and a Mic level input. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/98783-using-both-line-level-mic-level-input.html)

Dave Smith July 12th, 2007 09:42 AM

Using both Line level and a Mic level input.

I'm shooting an interview tomorrow and plan on using my wireless Senn with lav for primary audio and a boomed Rode NT3 for backup.

My A1 only allows for either mic level or line level to be recorded, but not both.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Senn receiver is a line level device and the NT3 (without battery) is mic level.

What options do I have for ensuring that both channels will record good sound? (Phantom power on/off, go with a battery in the NT3, etc.).

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I've just gotten the Senns and have never recorded two channels before.

Thanks!

Seth Bloombaum July 12th, 2007 10:01 AM

I don't have an EW100 G2 receiver here in front of me, but as I recall the audio level can be attenuated as much as 30db in the receiver menu. That should then be in the ballpark of mic-level as seen by your cam.

Do try it today, though. If you're not able to get both mics close enough you'll probably need a mixer.

Dave Smith July 12th, 2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 710977)
I don't have an EW100 G2 receiver here in front of me, but as I recall the audio level can be attenuated as much as 30db in the receiver menu. That should then be in the ballpark of mic-level as seen by your cam.

Do try it today, though. If you're not able to get both mics close enough you'll probably need a mixer.

Just found an online copy of the G2 manual and yes, the receiver can be adjusted for mic level inputs. One problem down.

I suppose this means that I can disable phantom power for this channel? Or is it auto sensing and not really an issue?

Thanks!

Petri Kaipiainen July 12th, 2007 11:47 AM

You should shut down the phantom if the connected device does not need it.

Dave Smith July 12th, 2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen (Post 711036)
You should shut down the phantom if the connected device does not need it.

Thanks.

Is this just a "good housekeeping" practice or is there really an adverse effect to leaving phantom power on?

Ron Priest July 12th, 2007 01:07 PM

Sennheiser Receiver is Mic Level

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Smith (Post 710967)
Unless I'm mistaken, the Senn receiver is a line level device and the NT3 (without battery) is mic level. Thanks!

I think your mistaken. I use my Sennheiser with the Sony VX2100 as a mic level device.

Petri Kaipiainen July 12th, 2007 11:22 PM

Sennheiser's reciever output level can be adjusted from line to mic level. Better use line level, less chance of interference, unless you are forced to use mic level signal (like with XH-A1 with mic in the other input).

Phantom: Feeding 48 volts to devices that do not deed it is never good, even though many things do survive it, like dynamic mics and pro electronics. You also run out of battery much faster with phantom running.

Steve House July 13th, 2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Smith (Post 710967)
Unless I'm mistaken, the Senn receiver is a line level device and the NT3 (without battery) is mic level.

Thanks!

The NT3 is mic level whether you're powering it with its internal battery or with phantom. Without either one, its output is no level at all.

Dave Smith July 13th, 2007 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen (Post 711356)
Sennheiser's reciever output level can be adjusted from line to mic level. Better use line level, less chance of interference, unless you are forced to use mic level signal (like with XH-A1 with mic in the other input).

Phantom: Feeding 48 volts to devices that do not deed it is never good, even though many things do survive it, like dynamic mics and pro electronics. You also run out of battery much faster with phantom running.

Thanks for the explanation.

Ty Ford July 14th, 2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Smith (Post 711037)
Thanks.

Is this just a "good housekeeping" practice or is there really an adverse effect to leaving phantom power on?

Hello Dave,

There can be significant problems with some battery powered mics and some phantom supplies.

Even taking a feed from a house mixer to a camera mixer with the camera mixer's inputs set with the Phanton Power on can result in some very nasty audio.

Booming with an NT3!? So you have Superman as a boom op? I don't know many boomers who are capable of booming an NT3. It's way to heavy.

Regards,

TyFord