Audio for Movie - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I'll second (third?) the advice on good monitors for your editing suite. Took me a lot of auditioning and soul-searching to make a final decision and just took delivery a couple of days ago on a pair of JBLPRO LSR4328P 8" reference monitors. Pricey but worth every penny IMHO (and I A/B'ed them against Genelec 1030 and 8030, Dynaudio BM6a, Adam, BlueSky, and even some Klein and Hummels that run about 8 kilobucks a pair!). I love the computerized room-mode correction capabilities they have. You can't evaluate your audio unless you can really hear it reproduced with the most accuracy your budget can stand.

Last edited by Steve House; July 13th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks a lot for the advice and links on monitors. Steve, those JBL monitors seem very reasonable; I will strongly consider them.
Dale Stoltzfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Stoltzfus View Post
As to the boom op and the team, absolutely yes. But for the equipment such as mic, boom, etc, that's why I posted this thread, so I could find out what was considered to be the best equipment for the job.

If you are recording a line level signal from a mixer, why do you need preamps on the recorder? I really don't know a huge amount about audio technology, but I thought preamps were needed only for mics.

Thanks for the cautions and advice, though - I really appreciate it.
Hello Dale,

The ENG-44 is price attractive, but you'll only see it used by pros in situations in which their more expensive mixer might be damaged.

The issue of mics, preamps and line/mic level is not easy.

First the XL2 does not accept line level inputs, I know. I have one.

Second most prosumer cameras finagle the mic/line circuitry so that when you choose line level on the camera, you are NOT bypassing the preamp in the camera. When you select LINE, it just puts a resistor in front of the preamp.

Yes, preamps are required for mic level input. I use the mic levvel output of my mixer when feeding the XLR inputs off my X2.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio