Voice recorders - new - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Sennheiser in Old Lyme, CT?

And they knew you were shooting IN RICHMOND, VA?
(not Richmond, WA?)

Try those frequencies I suggested and see how they work.

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Sennheiser in Old Lyme, CT?

And they knew you were shooting IN RICHMOND, VA?
(not Richmond, WA?)

Try those frequencies I suggested and see how they work.

Regards,

Ty
Yeah Ty, we did look up based on my zip code.

I'm going to give it a try today. We shall see. Thanks for the advice.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Update

Well, it appears that I'll be stepping up the ol'e mic. I only had a couple of dropouts, but it was enough for me to be really annoyed with it. There was no drop out that was supercritical, and it could have been the 40 people with their cell cameras.

So I'll probably touch base again with lectrosonics to see what 'block' I should get. They originally told me I should get block 22 from the, but they are out of stock.

So I just posted the update to say thanks as well.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:21 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Well after calling Lectrosonics and a distributor or two, here's where I am now. One dude at 'a store' told me that the Lectrosonics 100 series is the equivalent to the Sennheiser 100 series. I thought to myself, well yea, except for that extra 500.00 dollars. Hehe. So I called Lectro with my new information and they agreed that if my Sennheiser 100 is having issues, then I would have the same with thier 100 series.

So the next step would be well over 2k for one of the 400 series, or I can roll the dice with a 100 series from Lectrosonic system.

This is one fun journey.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hey Steven,

I'm just curious... how and where do you normally mount your transmitter in relationship to your receiver?
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, either in the small of the back, or on the side, tried various ways. My receiver is mounted on the back of my camera, via velcro to the battery.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Well, either in the small of the back, or on the side, tried various ways. My receiver is mounted on the back of my camera, via velcro to the battery.
Do you have both Antennae in a vertical plane? And what's your average distance between them?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM   #23
Inner Circle

My antenna is usually facing down, and I have heard that maybe up should be better, but with video that's not always possible.

As for my distance, the last interference I had was less than 100 feet line of site, out of no where it came and left.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
My antenna is usually facing down, and I have heard that maybe up should be better, but with video that's not always possible.

As for my distance, the last interference I had was less than 100 feet line of site, out of no where it came and left.
Hmmmm... Did you do a walk around distance test before the shoot to find if your range had an edge?

Do the dropouts happen only after the trans/rec have been on for a while? I had an Audio Limited transmitter that kept going out...I finally bagged it and put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes and it immediately worked. As the transmitter was heating up...the frequency started to drift on the unit.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:06 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Yeah, I did a walk around, etc, I have no consistent pattern of dropouts. I'm not sure bout teh time, I'm sure they dropouts have occured within an hour of turning the system on.
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Well, the lectro system should arrive this Friday. I'll run both at my next gig, and the one that comes out clean, stays in the bag.. Thanks for all the help, I'll update later.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Well, the lectro system should arrive this Friday. I'll run both at my next gig, and the one that comes out clean, stays in the bag.. Thanks for all the help, I'll update later.
Which units did you order?
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Which units did you order?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html

Given that my ideal block of 22 is out of stock, Lectro told me that 21 would good. We shall see.
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Update - and man was this fun

Well, Friday night, the night before the wedding I took my G2 system, my new Lectrosonics UCR100 system, and the replacement G2 from Sennheiser out to the site. For the first hour or so I was working with the Lectrosonics sales dude, his name is John. We tried several, ok maybe many frequencies in conjunction with my G2 system. The best we could get was occasional dropouts. So about an hour and a half into my testing, I was left with my typical G2 type dropouts, random, having mostly to do with movement of either the transmitter or receiver.

So before I left I figured I would hook up the replacement G2 system, (same block as the other two systems) and see if I could get it to register. Ends up, the only way I could get the replacement G2 system to work was to put it on the exact same frequency as my other one, (which told me it was functioning fine.) But I couldn't find a frequency to work in conjunction with the other two, my old G2 and the lectro system.

The end of it all is, I'm not sure at this point. I'm sending the Lectro system back because after the ceremony, I had more drops with it than the frequency my G2 system was on. I'm sure this was because it was on a weaker frequency, but I'm just guessing.

So I guess for now, I'll have to do some more researching and working with the Lectro people. Hopefully they can find a block that will work for me.

And by the way, I was able to pick up, clear as a bell, a radio station on the G2 system. The frequency was in the middle of the band.

Just wanted to update. Thanks for reading, leave a dollar on your way out. :}
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Thanks Steven,

Again, I think the B block would bebetter for you.

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio