Commercial music- for charity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Commercial music- for charity

What is the best way to get a commercial grade track for an animal rights charity piece (for broadcast). Maybe something like Sarah McLaughlin’s ‘in the arms of an angel’.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Trustee

You might try contacting The Harry Fox Agency.

Good Luck with your project!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Thx David. Just sent them an email. I will let you guys know how it pans out.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca View Post
What is the best way to get a commercial grade track for an animal rights charity piece (for broadcast). Maybe something like Sarah McLaughlin’s ‘in the arms of an angel’.

-John
John,

The ONLY way to do this legally is as follows.

First, you need to identify who owns the license rights you want to acquire.
There are more than one kind of "rights" involved in music like this. You probably need "syncronization" rights which allow you to use copyright music against visual images in a new artistic work.

Once you find out WHO owns those specific rights, you need to contact that party, or their representatives, and get their specific licensing permission via contract.

It's a complicated and often expensive process. But this is the ONLY way to do what you want without copyright violation.

There are company's that exist specifically to search out rightsholders and negotiate these licenses. The Harry Fox Agency was mentioned, BZ Rights and Permissions in New York, and even ASCAP and BMI directly might be places to start.

But...

Allow a LOT of time. Expect to pay a LOT of money.

I know it's tempting to think that because Sara M. is an acknowledged animal advocate, you could simply contact her somehow and get permission. But without a proper search, there's no way to know if she is the actuall current owner of the rights you seek. It's pretty common for artists to enter into licensing agreements with other entities that may preclude even the original author from maintaining legal control over all the rights to their own work.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Bill must've been posting as I was and gives good advice. Harry Fox no longer deals with sync licensing nor does ASCAP or BMI though they might be able to refer you to the copyright owners. Those organizations deal with performance and broadcast licensing but licensing for inclusion in film/video is something else.

As Bill says, you need to contact the owners of the copyright on the words and music directly for the sync licenses and the owners of the recording you plan to use for the master use license.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was going to be a long shot.

Harry Fox responded and informed me they haven’t provided sync license since 02. I have to secure sync rights from the publisher directly with-

www.ascap.com
www.bmi.com
www.sesac.com
www.copyright.gov

Also, I have to negotiate a gratis license with the copyright holder/publisher/administrator before it can be used.

I will probably break down and use something on freeplay.com, but only because we have a timetable. Thanks for everyone’s input and this has definitely been a learning experience.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio