Wireless lavalier mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Wireless lavalier mics

Hi everyone,
On the topic of the Sennheiser G2 100 wireless mics, does anyone have a recommendation from among the ME2 or ME4 A, B, or C models available from BH Photo? The price is the same ($499) but the mics are slightly different, thus my confusion.
Any recommendations/suggestions greatly appreciated (I'm leaning towards the Senn, but I'm open to non-Sennheiser suggestions for a UHF wireless lav system under $1000).
Thanks,
N
Nicolas Gulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The ME2 is an omni-directional lav, which is almost certainly what you want. The ME4 is a cardoid pattern, and generally is a poor choice for video recording - you don't want directionality in the mic, you depend on it being close to the source.

The A, B, and C are different freq. ranges. Generally, you want a range that avoids the greatest number of digital TV stations and/or any other sources of interference in your area. Sorry, don't know much about the appropriate frequency range for Montreal.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you for your reply, Seth, this really helps. I'll look into the frequency question for Montreal. BTW, I see you're in Portland; I lived in Eugene for a number of years (Beautiful state...I miss the ocean and the mountains!).
Nicolas Gulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #4
Trustee

Seth,

Do you have an opinion of the ME2 versus the MKE2. The "K" version is about $500 more; I'm wondering if it's justified.

I'm recording voices, not music, for a documentary that has the possibility (allbeit a small one) of theatrical release. I'll be recording through an SD 302 mixer doubled to both a Sony HDR-FX1 and an SD 702 recorder.

THANKS!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Your other sound investments and potential theater release certainly justify upgrading the stock ME2 that comes with the Senn. units. You'll hear the difference when listening on good studio reference monitors.

I hear that the MKE2 is an excellent mic (I've not used it). But there is no need to stick with a Senn. element. Sanken COS-11 and Countryman B6 seem to be favorite's of people on this forum. I've used them occasionally and they are excellent. I also like the Tram TR50 and the Sony ECM77 very much. It would be hard to go wrong with any of these mics.

Some retailers (B&H, for example) will sell you systems that are pre-bundled with the mics of your choice.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #6
New Boot

Similar question

I'm looking to buy a wireless lav for my Canon GL2, for documentary-like ethnographic research. I'm stuck between two mics from different brands. Both are $499, which is my max budget. Their online descriptions don't really help me understand the differences between them.

One is the Sony:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/SZ2250/

The other is the Senny:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/SH3112/

How are these two different? The Sennheiser appears to have more functionality, but that could just be the way the descriptions are written.

Thanks so much,

Sara
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you can find some used Lectrosonics...it will be better than the Senns because it sounds more natural. I got used Lecto 195 setup from coffeesound for about a grand. Switched out the mic to a tram 50 and the sound is superb.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Cantor View Post
I'm looking to buy a wireless lav for my Canon GL2, for documentary-like ethnographic research. I'm stuck between two mics from different brands. Both are $499, which is my max budget. Their online descriptions don't really help me understand the differences between them.

One is the Sony:

The other is the Senny:

How are these two different? The Sennheiser appears to have more functionality, but that could just be the way the descriptions are written.

Thanks so much,

Sara
They are similar. I have the Sony lav you linked to. It is more or less equivalent to the Sennheiser system, hence the similar pricing. With either system, you can upgrade to a nicer mic as your funds permit. Since you have a GL2, I should point out that the Sony system for sure has an adapter that mounts the receiver in the camera shoe. This is important since you don't have many other mounting choices with that camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Cantor View Post

One is the Sony:

The other is the Senny:

Thanks so much,

Sara
I wound up choosing the Senn b/c it has a metal transmitter and seems to be favored by people I've spoken with out here. That said, I've heard and read very good things about the Sony as well, save the plastic.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio