Filmming in the rain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filmming in the rain

Hi Folks

I'll be shooting the Dragon Boat races here in Montreal this coming weekend. Weatherwise, it's suppose to rain on Saturday.

I do have the Kata rain bag which covers my XL1 but the microphone sticks outside the bag. I'm using the original microphone (with the foam covering the mic) that came with the XL1. Will the rain damage the microphone or can I wrap the microphone in a bag/ I think that may muffle the sound.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Put a condom on the mic.
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I guess I'd worry more about the sound of raindrops hitting the condom or any bag around the mic. At least the condom won't make rustling noises.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #4
New Boot

outdoors person/2-xls1s

i don't think you will enjoy the sound of the rain hittng the mic if you plan on using the sound from the camera. direct hits from rain drops can make a good "thunk" noise. in a "fine mist" type rain the sound will not be much of a problem. what i have tried is using a small travel umbrella hand held over the camera and using a kata rain jacket. the sound of rain drops on the umbrella still can be quite loud, so holding the umbrella higher is better. my other worry was mositure getting to the mic conections. also, i think having a friend along to hold the umbrella would make for the better filming conditions. good luck!

tom bouse
Tom Bouse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio