DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Macro over a wide angle? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/101622-macro-over-wide-angle.html)

Rafael Lopes August 19th, 2007 09:25 AM

Macro over a wide angle?

Hi,

I have no idea where I should have posted this, so mods feel free to move this where you think it should be.
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use macro rings over a wide angle lens? I have a Canon Xh-A1 and I've been using a 72mm piece of crap cavision wide angle...which happens to have a from thread (even though it doesn't say the diameter). I was toying with the idea of maybe buying some macro rings to try to achieve some DOF. Did anyone ever had good results with something like this?

Rafa

David W. Jones August 19th, 2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 731053)
Hi,

I have no idea where I should have posted this, so mods feel free to move this where you think it should be.
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use macro rings over a wide angle lens? I have a Canon Xh-A1 and I've been using a 72mm piece of crap cavision wide angle...which happens to have a from thread (even though it doesn't say the diameter). I was toying with the idea of maybe buying some macro rings to try to achieve some DOF. Did anyone ever had good results with something like this?

Rafa

My thoughts...

Macro rings over a piece of crap wide angle converter equals = a piece of crap macro setup.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
The stock lens on the A1 is capable of macro work if you are wanting to do close work.
Maybe I don't understand, as you say you are trying to achieve some DOF.
Every lens has depth of field, unless you leave the lens cap on.
Are you talking about shallow, or deep depth of field?
I thought you owned a 35mm lens adapter which would allow you to mount any style lens needed???

Rafael Lopes August 19th, 2007 12:34 PM

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough. I do own a couple of 35mm adapters, but the A1 has such a great shallow depth of field when you zoom in that I've been using it's stock lens more and more. The thing is, with the A1's stock lens you cannot have shallow depth of field on wider shots, like I have with my sigma 28mm f1.8. I was wondering if by using a wide angle (not necessarily my piece of crap one) with a combination of macro rings I could up to a certain extent emulate what I have with the sigma. Today I shot the same thing with a 35mm adapter using different lenses and then using only the A1's stock lens. I could more or less achieve the same results, except on wider shots (well, and the A1's stock lens is sharper than any adapter).

Ben Winter August 19th, 2007 03:51 PM

It's not the "A1's stock lens" that's limiting you to having more (but you mean less, since DOF refers to what's in-focus) DOF, it's the image plane size, and that's what adapters are for. You are getting great shallow DOF with the A1's stock lens but only on the telephoto range of the lens since this is where DOF separation becomes greatest, and thus on a small sensor like that of the A1, where DOF becomes most apparent.

It comes down to simple mathematics. If you use a depth of field calculator, a certain sensor size such as that of the A1, with a lens focal length as manipulated by the wide angle lens, equals a very large circle of confusion, and extremely deep depth of field. No macro will change that. You need a larger image plane, and that is what adapters are for. No free lunches here.