DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   SGpro & HV-20? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/102715-sgpro-hv-20-a.html)

Peter Moretti September 3rd, 2007 03:00 AM

SGpro & HV-20?

Is anyone using the SGpro with an HV-20? If so, thoughts, comments, recommendations?

THANKS very much!

Cary Lee September 3rd, 2007 09:38 PM

If it is like using my SGpro on the Canon A1 then I believe the footage would be awesome.

Peter Moretti September 4th, 2007 07:48 PM

I don't know if it will be. There are a lot of differences between the HV-20 and the XH-A1. The HV-20's sensor is off center by an amount that varies from camera to camera, it's not as good in low light, and individually setting the iris, shutter speed and gain requires essentially tricking the camera. That said, I'm waiting for my HV-20 to arrive any day now.

Can I ask why you chose the SGpro over some of the adapters out there, like Brevis and Redrock? Comparing web-posted footage from all, I have to say the SGpro looked the most natural to my eye.

Cary Lee September 8th, 2007 02:28 PM

I bought it for edge to edge clarity and stability. I used to have the Letus..but I wanted to shoot mainly with the tripod. M2 was never a consideration because of the high price. The brevis is a possiblity for handheld but I wanted spinnng GG over Vibrating after having the letus.

Peter Moretti September 9th, 2007 01:28 AM

Cary,

How many stops do you loose? The SGpro website says "about one stop," which I interpret to mean two.

BTW, it sounds like you have a pretty great setup, may I ask what kind of work you're doing with it?

Chris Barcellos September 9th, 2007 02:27 AM

Cary:

I experienced some issues with the Letus35a, HV20 combo, myself. 1st, the Camera can't seem to zoom enough to avoid vignetting. Second, I was experiencing issue with the frequency of the motor creating issues and a float effect in the images. Ultimately, I tried an old spinner I had built, and got some nice results. The unit is set up a lot like the SG Pro.

But I still wanted to use the Letus, so I took the Cinevate achromat I had, and added it to the Letus, and replace the motor with a bit stronger vibrating motor, and seemed to have solve both problems.

David Delaney September 9th, 2007 12:10 PM

Hey Chris, do you have pics of replacing the motor?

Cary Lee September 9th, 2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 741467)
Cary,

How many stops do you loose? The SGpro website says "about one stop," which I interpret to mean two.

BTW, it sounds like you have a pretty great setup, may I ask what kind of work you're doing with it?

Actually I find the it loses about 1 stop with the lens on..But that is with fast lenses. It will be more if you have slower ones..but I try to shoot around F4 most of the time. As for shooting..it is for shooting shorts and upcoming music videos as well as possibly going into industrial product shoots. I found the SGpro to satisfy my needs. Also if you have a SGpro..Wayne is now taking Deposits for the upcoming FF. But they are going fast.

Anton Galimzyanov September 10th, 2007 12:32 AM

SGpro & HV-20 = perfect quality.
Speaking of A1... lens suffer from CA, and it's so obvious... to bad

A dark side: HV-20 doesn't have a manual mode (some tricks are possible though), its sensor needs more light, not a "pro-" look ))

SGpro.. SGpro... Well, it's an amazing device. Beats every adapter in term of quality and sharpness (well, maybe mini35 is still an alternative -))

Peter Moretti September 10th, 2007 07:15 PM

I hear varying opinions about the A1's CA. In a lot of posted footage, I can't see it at all, but sometimes I do. It may not be that big a deal, but I've never seen that much CA from other cameras, most notably the HVX.

Ian G. Thompson September 10th, 2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Galimzyanov (Post 741797)
... HV-20 doesn't have a manual mode (some tricks are possible though), its sensor needs more light, not a "pro-" look )).....

Just to clarify...I'm sure what you meant to say here is the HV20 does not have as much manual features as the A1. However, it does have a manual mode but Iris and Shutter have to be fiddled with to give you a better shot. Sorry Anton...while I understood what you were saying I think this statement might be a little confusing to some others.

Peter Moretti December 3rd, 2007 10:21 PM

So if I were to order an SGPro Rev 3 for my HV-20, exactly what do I need order in addition the adapter? I've read about needing an extension tube, but to be honest, it's all a little confusing.

Cary Lee December 3rd, 2007 11:25 PM

You need a adapter ring to fit the HV20. The SGpro comes with a 72mm thread. Letus just introduced a smaller version of their extreme to fit the HV20. Supposed to be good..But if I were you I would look into the brevis for lighter weight unless your willing to be attached to a tripod all the time.

Peter Moretti December 4th, 2007 01:34 AM

Cary,

No offence to the Brevis people, they are LOVELY. But comparing SGPro footage to the Brevis's I always wind liking the SGPro's more. I've seen Brevis footage with the various diffusers, but it's never been AS appealing to my eye.

I will be using the adapter with a tripod.

BTW, are you still liking your SGPro as much as you were a few posts above? Thanks!

Cary Lee December 4th, 2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 786840)
Cary,

No offence to the Brevis people, they are LOVELY. But comparing SGPro footage to the Brevis's I always wind liking the SGPro's more. I've seen Brevis footage with the various diffusers, but it's never been AS appealing to my eye.

I will be using the adapter with a tripod.

BTW, are you still liking your SGPro as much as you were a few posts above? Thanks!

Yes I am very satisfied with my SGpro. Compared to the LetusFE, it was no comparison. I preferred a spinner setup vs a vibrating GG. But I am still interested in getting the brevis for using handheld work on run and gun situations. I am impressed with Dennis's recent improvements on his CF GG. Especially useful in situations where using a camera like the HV20 and Brevis can be handy in situations where a big setup is not welcomed. (IE a busy shopping mall or in a tight spaced location).