The New Letus Extreme and XHA1 First Impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 25th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #16
Major Player

I was wondering about the condensor as well.

Plus, with the plastic casing version, I'm wondering if it's still possible to go without rails. Sounds like the extreme version is too heavy now for that possibility.

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #17
New Boot

Would you recommend a rail system for this adapter? If so, could you recommend one?
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #18
Disjecta

Yes, it is just too heavy not to be on rails. I use the basic ones from Cavision:
Attached Thumbnails
The New Letus Extreme and XHA1 First Impressions-letus1.jpg   The New Letus Extreme and XHA1 First Impressions-letus2.jpg  

The New Letus Extreme and XHA1 First Impressions-letus3.jpg  
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey View Post
Yes, it is just too heavy not to be on rails. I use the basic ones from Cavision:

Man, this just gets tougher. I was waiting to get the M2 with the microX, but for the price this letus really appears to be the best bang for the buck.. I'm torn now.
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

This may be a stupid question from someone who is just barely starting to investigate 35mm adapters, so I readily acknowledge my ignorance -- but I don't understand what the motor in the Letus is doing. Be patient with a newbie and enlighten me.

Explain the interaction between the lens on the Letus and the lens on the camcorder. With the Letus attached, do you only adjust the 35mm lens -- leaving the zoom and focus on the camcorder alone? I don't understand the fundamental principles/function of the adapter in relation to the camera.

Also, how will my autofocus EF lenses work? Do I just set them on manual and focus by hand?

I am REALLY impressed by the footage Steve posted above, even though it was brief. (I also checked out the footage on the adapterplace website. Wow!)

I'm curious though, Steve, did you achieve the focus change from the pitcher to the batter by hand, or is there some way to still use the XH/A1's focus memory function with the Letus attached?

Also, what is a good, yet affordable, rail system to get?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I love my XH-A1 and it looks to me like adding a Letus Extreme to the mix is my next investment. I'm going to sell my GL2 and all its accessories to get the cash for a Letus and a rail system.

Last edited by Will Schryver; September 26th, 2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Additional questions
Will Schryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #21
Major Player

Steven, I'd guess that our carbon rails, and adjustable rails mount would work perfectly with that setup. They're designed to both accomodate the height offset, mount up to 75mm diameter, and still allow a perfectly balanced rig, with mattebox and monitor out front too.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods