35mm adapter focal length question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 1st, 2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm adapter focal length question

Hi,

I'm going to shoot a shortfilm with the HVX200 and a DIY 35mm adapter (based on the jetsetmodels.info tutorial) we're building. My DP (director of photography) is worried (really scared, and so am I) about the fact that using an adapter will lead us to focal problems. i.e. He claims that using a 50mm lens will become a 130mm (tele) lens, and so on, which will make us go really back (in distance) in order to achieve medium or short value (faces) shots. We're are going to shoot a lot of close-ups and using flycam or handheld camera, so I'm really worried about that.

I've seen so may footage around there, that makes use of adapters and shooting faces, close-ups, etc... that I wonder if this is true, I mean, it's really a wide change in focal length using a 35mm adapter?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Ivan
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi mate,

I depends really on how much vignetting you ae getting from you device (and hot spotting).

If its minimal, you will not need to zoom in much past the outer edges of the viewing screen.

There will be some change in the measurment of your focal lenght, but that doesnt mean it will be extreme (again depending on how far you have to zoom in to gain an even usable image)

You could try a 28mm prime. If you do have to zoom in you could still end up with something in the 50mm or 'normal' range.

tbip2001
James Millward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I feel much relieved :)

So, the basic problem is in how much I have to zoom in, I'll take that in consideration.

Thanks again.
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Trustee

Some (perhaps most) wide angles vignette naturally even on an SLR body with film. Zooming in past this unavoidable vignetting would yield a relatively telephoto field of view. There is a post-production solution to correct vignetting, however, if you have a small group of shots you'd be willing to export individually and process.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods