DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Nikon AI SLR Lenses with brevis. Recommendations? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/104866-nikon-ai-slr-lenses-brevis-recommendations.html)

Justin Connor October 2nd, 2007 06:08 PM

Nikon AI SLR Lenses with brevis. Recommendations?

Hello peeps,

I have an HVX and the Brevis -- I bought a 50 mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 and a 135 mm 2.0...I am looking for recommendations on one or 2 more lenses -- some have mentioned the 135 mm and a 28 or 35 mm for something wider?

I really like the telephoto look of the 135 mm lens, so a recommendation including f stop on another telephoto would be great - maybe in the 105 mm range? And also what is a good/great recommendation for a wide lens - 28 or 35? Ideas?

I also have a cent optics wide angle adapter....that i have mostly been doing for international shoots - time lapses, architecture, people, and the like, and it has proved great -- i haven't tested the Nikon lenses much yet since the Brevis is a new toy.

Last question on that note, for a narrative/docudrama structure, would the century optics as a wide shot/master on a B camera MATCH with the Nikon slr lenses shot through a Brevis on my A camera, which would be shooting the actors in the same scene?

Thanks in advance for the help. New to the lens/aesthetic world.

Cheers,
Justin

Jon Wolding October 3rd, 2007 11:31 AM

Pick up a 105mm and a 35mm. And when you can afford it, pick up a F2.8 70(or 80)-200mm zoom.

If you match scene files and exposure, the cameras will be pretty damn close.

Dan Brockett October 3rd, 2007 01:27 PM

Hi

Hi Justin:

The Nikon 105mm 2.8D Micro is often sited as one of the sharpest Nikon lenses produced in the past twenty years. I have one and it's great. New, it cost me around $600.00. This is the non-image stabilized version from 4-5 years ago. Don't think the new versions are as sharp and not sure about the AI MF versions or if there even was a MF version

How much did you pay for your 85mm 1.4? Did you buy the MF version? I just picked up one on Ebay for $229.00 but I think i could have found one cheaper if I had more time to hunt.

Best,

Dan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Connor (Post 753378)
Hello peeps,

I have an HVX and the Brevis -- I bought a 50 mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4 and a 135 mm 2.0...I am looking for recommendations on one or 2 more lenses -- some have mentioned the 135 mm and a 28 or 35 mm for something wider?

I really like the telephoto look of the 135 mm lens, so a recommendation including f stop on another telephoto would be great - maybe in the 105 mm range? And also what is a good/great recommendation for a wide lens - 28 or 35? Ideas?

I also have a cent optics wide angle adapter....that i have mostly been doing for international shoots - time lapses, architecture, people, and the like, and it has proved great -- i haven't tested the Nikon lenses much yet since the Brevis is a new toy.

Last question on that note, for a narrative/docudrama structure, would the century optics as a wide shot/master on a B camera MATCH with the Nikon slr lenses shot through a Brevis on my A camera, which would be shooting the actors in the same scene?

Thanks in advance for the help. New to the lens/aesthetic world.

Cheers,
Justin

Justin Connor October 3rd, 2007 08:25 PM

cool - quick follow up...

Thanks for the info Dan and Jon.

Dan -- SO the micro D 2.8 105 mm is a good one aye? And what F stop would you recommend for the 35 mm? Unsure about that one.

My 85 mm lens cost about the same...think i paid 300.00, mint, and yes, MF.

Jon -- same as above -- what 35 mm f stop would you recommend, and any other notes on the 105mm?

You guys rock,
Gracias,
Justin

Jon Wolding October 8th, 2007 11:49 PM

Well, the faster the lens, the better it will be for adapter use. However, sometimes the difference is negligible (Nikon 50mm F1.2 and F1.4 lenses show almost identical light loss when wide open). The other thing to look for is a large rear opening on the lens... the larger it is, the less falloff, soft edges, and vignetting. And typically, the faster the lens, the larger the rear opening of the lens. I have a F2.8 105mm and it's great outdoors and indoors with lights. But if I'm indoors with natural light, I usually have to use my F1.2 50mm. So I'd try to get lenses in the F1.4-2 range.