Camera rails with the brevis - Follow focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera rails with the brevis - Follow focus

I am just about to get me one of them Brevis puppies -- I tested it out and it looks great.

I have an HVX with the Marshall monitor and V clip batteries to power the monitor...I know the Brevis offers an option to buy the rails and such...but I have also seen rigs that are completely independent of Brevis and such.

I want to find/designa rig with a follow focus that can fit on my DP's shoulder and has the Marshall (upside down of course ;) near where the flip out on the camera would be viewed, follow focus and hand grips...I don't know what else I would need, and am trying to find the cheapest, sturdiest, and most comfortable solution for my DP, and have no idea where to look/ask.

Some people have mentioned Zacuto, but I am brand new to this. Any ideas?

Shooting a documentary - lots of talking heads, but also might need the option to follow focus...and have no idea where to find a cheap reasonable rig.

I so appreciate any recommendations in advance!

Cheers,
Justin
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

First, determine a budget. Do you have a max?
Jon Wolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Advice

Hi Justin:

I am going through the exact same thing except I went for the new Letus 35 Extreme over the Brevis. I was really close to ordering the Brevis but the siren song of a right side up picture and .5 total stop light loss won me over.

The Zacuto stuff is top notch but expensive. I have been looking at a Cavision rod base, Red Rock Micro FF, Red Rock lens support, Red Rock 18" rods. The Letus requires a 44mm off set from the lens line, unlike the Brevis so you could just get the Red Rock Micro base. I have to get the Cavision because I need all of that vertical adjustment.

Unless you can spend upwards of $900.00 on your FF, get the Red Rock, it's only $645.00 and it's very good, I know two Red Rock FF users, they love the unit and all of the Fresh DV tests and others have said that it is a great deal. Other users swear by the Cavision FF and I have heard good stuff about the Chroiszel FF as well but that's some expensive gear.

I am not camera mounting a Marshall as you are, but there are some very good Israeli arms from Noga as well as some other mounting options using Manfrotto parts, sorry don't have the exact model numbers. I would speak to either Zacuto or Red Rock about what they recommend to mount your monitor on to put it where you need it.

Best,

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Connor View Post
I am just about to get me one of them Brevis puppies -- I tested it out and it looks great.

I have an HVX with the Marshall monitor and V clip batteries to power the monitor...I know the Brevis offers an option to buy the rails and such...but I have also seen rigs that are completely independent of Brevis and such.

I want to find/designa rig with a follow focus that can fit on my DP's shoulder and has the Marshall (upside down of course ;) near where the flip out on the camera would be viewed, follow focus and hand grips...I don't know what else I would need, and am trying to find the cheapest, sturdiest, and most comfortable solution for my DP, and have no idea where to look/ask.

Some people have mentioned Zacuto, but I am brand new to this. Any ideas?

Shooting a documentary - lots of talking heads, but also might need the option to follow focus...and have no idea where to find a cheap reasonable rig.

I so appreciate any recommendations in advance!

Cheers,
Justin
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

right on

Cool.

Jon -- budget? -- well, definitely under or around 1000. a few more clams if absolutely necessary.

Dan -- Wow - i have to check that adapter out...I was/am very close to purchasing one, and glad to now check out the Letus and compare. I will do some more research. I would much rather not have to flip the monitor. I didn't realize the Brevis was the only to do that. So, the image is not flipped on the Letus?

Out of curiousity, why didn't you get the Redrock? And yeah, I heard that about the follow focus from RR. Around how much did your package run you?

Still debating on adapters as well... *sigh*...I will check out Red Rock as well...

Thank you both for the sound advice and welcome more responses if people have ideas!

Cheers,
Justin
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Justin:

I think you misunderstand. The Brevis only records an upside down image as does the Red Rock M2 and every other 35mm adaptor except the mega bucks P+S Technik. The Letus 35 Extreme is the first reasonable cost adapter with .5 stop light loss that records an upright image with no flipping in monitoring or post production necessary.

Brevis is coming out with a separate image flip unit but it is not yet available and size and cost are not in concrete yet. Even if they do market the flip unit successfully, I believe that the Brevis will still have more light loss than the Letus 35 Extreme.

I didn't get the M2 because it records an upside down image and has a light loss of 1.5 to 2 stops. I shoot mostly interiors and I cannot use large lighting instruments most of the time so that rules out an adapter with significant light loss for me.

OTOH, the Red Rock FF and accessories do appeal to me and I will be buying them.

The Letus 35 Extreme is presently $1,199.00 but the price will soon be increasing to $1,500.00 so if you want one, order it today!

Nothing wrong with Brevis or the M2, they both are capable of excellent imagery. But the hassle of working upside down and having such a large light loss means they are impractical for my present workflow. The Letus 35 Extreme is the golden ticket for me.

Best,

Dan

Quote:
Cool.

Jon -- budget? -- well, definitely under or around 1000. a few more clams if absolutely necessary.

Dan -- Wow - i have to check that adapter out...I was/am very close to purchasing one, and glad to now check out the Letus and compare. I will do some more research. I would much rather not have to flip the monitor. I didn't realize the Brevis was the only to do that. So, the image is not flipped on the Letus?

Out of curiousity, why didn't you get the Redrock? And yeah, I heard that about the follow focus from RR. Around how much did your package run you?

Still debating on adapters as well... *sigh*...I will check out Red Rock as well...

Thank you both for the sound advice and welcome more responses if people have ideas!

Cheers,
Justin
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dan...

I would love to keep in touch with you re: the Letus.

Reason being is the flipping issue is a big deal with me shooting a documentary film, and I forgot about that hassle over a large workload.

I would love to see any footage online that you shoot with it.

My brain is deciphering which way to go, so please keep in touch and vice versa.

I appreciate the help and sound advice. Thanks for the info on flipping and what not.

cheers,
justin
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

No prob

No problem Justin. I spoke with Quyen and Letus yeesterday and I am anticpating receiving the Extreme somewhere around the end of October so I will let you know when I am up and running.

Buying a 35mm adapter means jumping through a lot of hoops, expensive, increased length on your rig which negates easily using it handheld, hassle in setup and teardown, etc. but for certain shots, it does give you "the look" and we all want "the look".

If you have to do a lot of handheld, the Brevis will be easier to handle than the Extreme, the Brevis can be used without rails and is probably quicker to setup. If you buy the Letus, you are using it with rails, it's too big and heavy and has a 44mm lens line offset so you have to have the rails. If you have your external Marshall that you can view upside-down, I wouldn't rule out the Brevis. Brevis claims with a 1.4 lens a .7 light loss. Add the flip adaptor to it and it adds a .5 light loss. So with the Brevis, we think you will have a total light loss of around 1.2 stops versus .5 stop with a 1.4 lens with the Letus 35 Extreme. That could be a deal breaker, depending on your subjects and lighting.

Best,

Dan

Quote:
I would love to keep in touch with you re: the Letus.

Reason being is the flipping issue is a big deal with me shooting a documentary film, and I forgot about that hassle over a large workload.

I would love to see any footage online that you shoot with it.

My brain is deciphering which way to go, so please keep in touch and vice versa.

I appreciate the help and sound advice. Thanks for the info on flipping and what not.

cheers,
justin
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan!

Great information.

very helpful. I am definitely leaning on the Brevis, but yeah, it does get more cumbersome with more stuff, but yes, we all want 'that look' ;)

I hope to keep in touch and look forward to hearing how the Letus works out for ya!

Cheers and be well,
Justin
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi there. . .

I have both the Brevis and the M2 as well as the Redrock and Cavision rails systems. I also have the Redrock follow focus and the Cavision mattebox.

Here's what I'd do:

I like the Brevis better than the M2. It is much better with edge-to-edge sharpness. I have never truly achieved edge-to-edge with either unit, but have determined that edge-to-edge is all but impossible with the M2. The Brevis is much better on that score and I think that there is still more that can be tweaked from that unit.

In addition, the Brevis is lighter in weight, you don't have to worry about changing the nine volt battery, it has very little light loss (and is just fine for shooting indoors with available light), and looks a lot better, to boot.

I am reasonably happy with my Cavision mattebox, but I bought it used on Ebay and it will work for now (I have a RED One on order).

The Redrock rails system (I have their super long 24" rails) is great and works perfectly with my HVX and the rest of my system. Any follow focus will work with this system, but I do like the Redrock follow focus.

Anyway, that's the score for now. If I were buying a new follow focus, I think that the Brevis unit at $500 looks amazing.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods