Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old September 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #481
Major Player

The artifacts may be from the debayer, but I'm not positive. I used just the bilinear setting, I regret not having enabled a better setting.

The colors in the images on my screen are pretty accurate to how the scene really looked. This filter is much better than the one I had on before. I'm still having to make some color adjustments, but this new filter requires a lot less.

Last I heard from Sumix was that they are working on a driver update. If I had some better software I would be happy to shoot and post some videos. I have been waiting for an update since July.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #482
Tourist

Hi everybody,

I'm new at the forum and I'm planning to get a Sumix-12A2C to build a system for my next projects.

I'm following your projects the last months, but I'm not sure what level of quality we could obtain yet. And the most important thing: the quality obtained will be by far better than other consumer camera of aproximate price? (HVX200...)

I think YES!, but in the practice the footage and images that I coud see make me doubt that this can be achieved...

I've got a 16mm Zeiss Super Speed lens set and an adapter to c-mount to test with the Sumix, I've read we need an IRC filter too...

What may need other hardware? (apart the PC/laptop..)

Thank you very much!

Jose from Madrid
Jose Blazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #483
Major Player

For the price of it plus the needed extra hardware, better MOD a Scarlet from RED.
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #484
Major Player

The camera is not 100% complete yet. The practice is more like development. Finding whats wrong with it and taking measures to correct. Also working with Sumix to add the features needed to make this a practical camera for filmmaking. Over the last few months the results have improved.

I'm waiting on a software update from Sumix which should come soon now. It will contain many new features and improvements.

Its hard to say what the hardware requirements will be. When I was using streampix with cineform raw codec the minimum for realtime recording was a quad core processor. They had it working on a dual core laptop but I was never able to find anything fast enough.

I hope the requirements are lower with the new software. Should have more information as soon as the new software is out.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #485
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Blazquez View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm new at the forum and I'm planning to get a Sumix-12A2C to build a system for my next projects.
..... price? (HVX200...)
adapter to c-mount to test with the Sumix, I've read we need an IRC filter too...
What may need other hardware? (apart the PC/laptop..)
Thank you very much!

Jose from Madrid
Hi
Same here, I have arri St with many lenses, also bolex with c-mount lenses. OK it is possible via adapter to use arri mount with c-mount? I'm also planing to buy The SMX-12A2C.

I had HVX-200 but got bored with it's image quality and sold it.

I allready have mini PC working with 12 volt and 7" touchView. I used it for recording,
but mayby with prosessor update it will be possible to use with summix.

http://cameratuning.fi/mymobile_75C7961.jpg
Johanes Wilenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #486
Major Player

Hi Johanes,

Arri has used a series of different mounts including the Arri PL, Arri Bayonet, and the Arri S-mount. It is possible to find an adapter for some of them, if not all.

I think the Arri St came with different mounts depending on when it was built. If your looking for the Arri Bayonet mount there are a few adapters on B&H and one at Standard C mount to Arri Bayonet Adapter but they are pretty expensive. I have not seen a c-mount adapter for PL.

I used a 12v computer similar computer to yours with the Sumix camera. It had a T7200 Core 2 Duo and a 7" LCD touch screen.
cappuccinopc.com : slimpro sp635b rohs compliant

There are some mini-itx motherboards available with support for quad core processors but I am hoping not to need one.
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #487
Regular Crew

isn't is possible to use a 35mm adapter?

is there any relay lenses that make possible to use a 35mm adapter with the c-mount?
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #488
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
There are some mini-itx motherboards available with support for quad core processors but I am hoping not to need one.
Hi, Daniel

here is link to list of few dual core mini-itx motherboards. I think my mini PC is not enought to sumix, so I'll have to buy some of these after I found that converter.

Core Duo / Core 2 Duo Mini-ITX boards - MP3Car.com
Johanes Wilenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #489
Major Player

Johanes,

Thanks for the link.

I have been looking at this one:
Newegg.com - Intel BOXDQ45CB LGA 775 Intel Q45 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The price is good, only $140. This is the best I have found so far. I'm tempted to buy it now but I will wait for some news about the required system specifications. This may be overkill.

Biel,

sure you can use a 35mm adapter but the camera would still need a lens of some sort to capture the image projected onto the ground glass. I am using 35mm optics with an c-mount to Canon FD converter but the crop factor is rather large.
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:55 AM   #490
Regular Crew

Hello guys,

I've ordered my SMX-12A2C camera from Sumix. The estimated shipping date is Nov. 10.

I have started to write my own controlling software. I'll keep updating here when I have something to post.
Eric Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM   #491
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay. The first SMX12A2 camera Sumix sent me was not working, so I had to return it and wait for them to send me a new one. It arrived last week and I finally got my hands on it.

I've done some basic tests on the controlling software and the SDK. So far it looks very promising. I'll post samples and more info soon.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM   #492
Regular Crew

Here are some test pictures. I have not build a camera body so what I can shoot is limited to the length of the Ethernet cable. And It's difficult to get the right framing/focus because I have to go back and check on my desktop computer's screen. All three were shot with Nikon 28mm lens, 1/48 shutter speed. I did some color correction but nothing precise.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-wcam-081218-144411-000000.jpg   Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-wcam-081218-145812-000000.jpg  

Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-wcam-081218-111147-000002.jpg  
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM   #493
Major Player

I would like to do a project with a camera like this. But with the price of the 5DII this camera needs to be higher res or lower cost.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #494
Regular Crew

wow those shots look great! Eric can you post the original uncorrected shot of the dog? how many steps of latitude that camera seems to have?

have you seen the patern of blue and red colors in the burned areas of the shot of the city?

has the software imporved? you said you can actually see the frame in you laptop, is this when you're shooting or when idle?
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #495
Regular Crew

Thank you Biel,

These pictures were captured using my own application program, which I have not finished yet. I saved the uncompressed 12-bit raw data and converted them to Adobe DNG format for processing.

I think the defect you referred to happens near the blown-out pixels only, as in any other bayer-pattern based cameras. It was difficult for me to check the exposure/focus. I had to bring that one almost 2 stops down in post to get a proper view. For de-bayering I think Adobe Camera Raw's doing pretty well.

As for Sumix's controlling software, yes you can see the image while capturing now, along with other improvements. It's just that I want features like 12-bit raw, touch-screen optimized UI, synced audio recording, a more production-oriented work flow, and that I have the resources to write my own program.

For the latitude... I'm not very experienced but I'd say it's around 8 stops. It's really S/N ratio when talking about digital camera's latitude. It depends on how much noise you can accept when digging up the darker area. I'm not too happy with the noise so far but I think it's good enough if controlled well. I have some ideas that may further reduce the noise, but I'll finish the main functions first.

Here's how the uncorrected color looks like. It's desaturated and green tinted as other raw output camera like Viper or SI-2K.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-wcam-081218-145812-000017.jpg  
Eric Wu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods