Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 30th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad Towfiq View Post
As we will upgrade to newer and better sensors
Any plans to move toward the altasens bitsdream sensor eventually?

Thank you for joining the discussion!
Jay Burlage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #77
Major Player

that graininess in the out of focus areas i believe is that green-channel pattern i was talking about you can see it if you display only the green channel
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #78
Major Player

actually im not totally sure what it is, it does appear in the other channels it seems
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #79
Major Player

Noah, can some of those anomalies be avoided using a better debayering algorithm?
Jose A. Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #80
Major Player

I don't mean to sound like im nitpicking. Im just so excited that im probably over examining it.

The image really does look great, much better then what I get with the 333 in almost every way. I hope they post more pictures and a video soon.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM   #81
Major Player

I'm sure the color offset could be fixed with an improved debayer. the other stuff im not sure.
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #82
Major Player

No news i guess? I've been using 16mm film more lately and it makes me realize how wonderful a nice inexpensive altasens camera would be. all that latitude and resolution and a big enough sensor not to have to use 35mm adapters, all without replacing mags, spending money on development/transfer... Even if one factor doesnt quite work, at this price it would still be a great camera. With the new Intel Penryn cpus that just came out, a portable quadcore capture box seems even more reasonable (or it will when the desktop versions are released, needing FB-DIMMs would probably kill any chance at portability).
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #83
Major Player

Sitting at the edge of my seat... Its past October and nothing so far.

I sent them an email last week trying to get an update on when the camera will be avaliable to buy... Have not heard from them since, which troubles me.

Im debating if I should buy the first version or wait for the 2k sensor to be released.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #84
Major Player

well i wouldnt expect to be able to buy it yet, i believe they told me the prototype version would be available in mid-november, and they will add features over the following 3-4 months. It is not totally clear if those features are all software activated or if the hardware will be completely different once all the development is complete.
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
It is not totally clear if those features are all software activated or if the hardware will be completely different once all the development is complete.
I'd like them to clear that up as well...
Jay Burlage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #86
Major Player

Either way, i would probably hold off on buying the camera right away... unless you are a developer or have lots of money sitting around or are an alternative imaging methods philanthropist/early-adopter who is willing to buy an in-development camera just so you can show us all what it can do and post a ton about it and we'll love you for it.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM   #87
Major Player

BTW it would appear there is a new sample video from the 12a2c on sumix's website. its at some odd 35.9583 fps framerate... my hope is that is the framerate chosen because it is the highest 8bit 2:1 frame decimation framerate available at 1080p, since it is almost exactly 75MP/s (camera would be running at its max 150MP/s). the video itself isnt that informative though... just a lot of resolution and low color saturation (but thats normal for uncorrected raw i believe).... i just wonder if that framerate is any indication of some difficulty accurately and consistently setting a particular framerate.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM   #88
Regular Crew

To my inexperienced eye, there appears to be a problem with the debayer algorithm that was used... visible as a grid pattern in the footage. I wonder if they would be willing to post the RAW footage so that the more experienced among us could try out different debayer algorithms. It does seem that the other issues (horizontal line, ghosting, etc) were dealt with, or at least not present in this shooting environment -- though it is hard to tell with such a dark shot.

I am still excited that this camera will yield amazing results, and look forward to seeing more footage.
Seth Kersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 03:17 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
BTW it would appear there is a new sample video from the 12a2c on sumix's website. its at some odd 35.9583 fps framerate... my hope is that is the framerate chosen because it is the highest 8bit 2:1 frame decimation framerate available at 1080p, since it is almost exactly 75MP/s (camera would be running at its max 150MP/s). the video itself isnt that informative though... just a lot of resolution and low color saturation (but thats normal for uncorrected raw i believe).... i just wonder if that framerate is any indication of some difficulty accurately and consistently setting a particular framerate.
Here is a .WMV of the clip, color corrected and slowed to standard 24fps:
http://solomonchase.com/sumix.wmv
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #90
Major Player

Just thought I'd also mention sumix now has a "sample videos" section of their website. they posted some more videos with the 12a2c camera. seems like they would be better off posting in some format besides uncompressed rgb avi and it might be worthwhile for them to apply an LUT or something. might also be interesting to see a video in their raw format once they release their software for processing the raw video.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods