Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #511
Regular Crew

I finally got the time to put together some test shots:
SMX12A2C Test Shots on Vimeo

All was shot 1920x1080 24p, shutter 1/48, 12-bit raw as DNG sequences. Lens was Nikon 28mm F2.8. No color correction other than tweaking the DNG settings. Please download the original 1080p AVI file (at bottom-right of the page). Vimeo doesn't do the camera justice IMO.

I managed to tune my program to be able to capture 1080 24p 12-bit on a Pentium M Dothan 1.6G machine. It's way too slow for running any additional features. I'll get a C2D machine when I have the money.

I still have to find solution for DC power source. The 8" LCD I ordered have not arrived, so it's still not very easy to shoot.
Eric Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #512
Regular Crew

eric, how does the camera handle handheld shots at 1/96? when does rolling shutter appear? how does it handle a scene under the direct light of the sun and shadows?
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #513
Regular Crew

The shutter speed won't affect the rolling shutter effect. The amount of CMOS rolling shutter effect is proportional to the interval between the scanning of the up-most line and the bottom-most line, which is a constant value with the same width/height/fps settings, and is irrelevant to exposure time(shutter speed).

SMX12A2 have a special mode that drops every other frame. The 24p I shot was really 48p with every other frame removed. This way the rolling shutter effect is half of 24p. It's still there but to my eyes it's much more acceptable.
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #514
Regular Crew

Eric wouldn't the nvidia/intel platform "ion" be the perfect companion for the camera? or maybe it would be two much processing power? or too costly?
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #515
Regular Crew

I have not test the 2-core Atom but I guess it won't be fast enough. Currently my software uses the CPU to do most of the work. And I don't have the resources to test all kinds of hardware. I would use a 45nm Core 2 Duo based machine, but I have to make do with my old Pentium M right now.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #516
Major Player

Interesting developments

Time to subscribe again to the thread.
Hi Wu, Can you outline all your equipment ? i.e. camera, PC, any capture card, monitor etc. ? Thanks!
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #517
Major Player

Just ran across something interesting today. It's a Mini-ITX Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile multimedia motherboard which has integrated:

HDMI
DVI-D
YPbPr
digital audio
dual Intel Gb LAN
5 SATA & 8 USB 2.0

1 PCI (32-bit)
1 Mini PCI
1 PCI Express Mini Card

Onboard Compact Flash slot

This thing is ideal for any camera. Especially this one. It's also relatively cheap for what you get.

Logic Supply - Leaders in Mini-ITX & Small Form Factor Solutions
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #518
Regular Crew

Hello guys,

I have built a portable PC for recording. It runs on a 12V7AH lead-acid battery inside the case, and can take external DC power source. The main specs are as following:

CPU : Pentium M Dothan 1.6G
RAM: DDR2 667 2G
HDD: Seagate 2.5" 120G x 2
monitor : 8.4" touch-screen LCD

The battery runs only about 1 hour. The HDDs can store 50 minutes of uncompressed files. I'm thinking adding a removable interface for the HDDs so I can quickly exchange them when they are full.

The original idea was to attach the whole thing together, but that would be way too heavy for my small tripod.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-dsc_4866.jpg   Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-dsc_4867.jpg  

Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-dsc_4876.jpg   Sumix 2/3" 1920x1080 CMOS-dsc_4873.jpg  

Old February 19th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #519
New Boot

Getting re-interested in the SUMIX. With the release of the HPX300 I've been tryin' to decide whether to get a 5D MKII and keep my HPX170 + Letus Ultimate or to upgrade, but then I remembered the 12A2C and started huntin' for info...

It's nice to see some brand new footage pop up!

Eric, what lens are you using on the front?

Do you have more footage to post? I'm also interested in the amount of wobble/skew present when handheld.

How does the software work for frame rate and shutter angle control? I read that you recorded 48P and the 24P is coming from there, but can you record a straight 24P? How's that work?

How much did it cost to build your mini rig and where did you order the battery from?

Now that Scarlet's pretty much dead-in-the-water it's easier to look at these alternatives to see what we can get out of them. Still not ruling out the 5D MKII.
Kholi Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #520
Major Player

Focus wheel and roller

Hi Eric. What solution did you use for the focus wheel ?
I noticed the portable PC holder is a towel holder - nice touch.
Is the lens and camera support also DIY ?
Looks quite nice actually..
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #521
Major Player

Eric,

Would you mind uploading a short (2-3) frame DNG sequence? I would like to take a closer look at your FPN solution and compare the noise levels to what I'm seeing in my videos.

Since you are not using the software that is provided by Sumix its possible that your configuration is producing a cleaner image.

I shot some more tests over the past week and have been looking for a good solution to remove temporal noise in post. FPN is simple but the random noise is a big problem even with 0 gain. So far I have not had much luck. Doing a lot of tuning and calibration but everything I try takes away important details.
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #522
Regular Crew

Thank you guys,

The lens in the pictures above was a Nikon 50mm F1.8, with an F-mount to C-mount adapter. The rod support and follow focus was from my old DIY projects, originally for my DIY 35mm adapter. The model of lead-acid battery I use is for small UPS and I bought it from a local electronics store.

I have some other footages but they were all early tests. I'll take the camera outside and shoot some more this weekend, now that my portable recorder is ready. More samples are coming.

The purpose of shooting 48p and recording every other frame is to reduce the rolling shutter effect(wobble/skew). Of course the camera can shoot straight 24p but the amount of skew would be twice as much.

Daniel:
The noise I get at 0 gain is visible at low light, too. I don't think it would be a problem when shooting outdoor or well-lit scenes. I can live with it if that's the best we can get, but I wouldn't use any gain higher than 0 db.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #523
Major Player

I wonder if anyone can comment on a comparison between the 5D MArk II and the Sumix camera.
Both cost about 2500 USD (2700 USD for the 5D)
So the 5D Mark II has the bigger sensor + better low light.
It has an integrated recorder - 38 mbps H.264 while the Sumix requires the additional expense of a tethered PC.
Sumix allows RAW capture while the 5D does not.
Sumix attempts to reduce rolling shutter while we are stuck with the 5D rolling shutter unless we can shoot 48P as well..

Any other comparisons ?
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #524
Major Player

I have both the Sumix and the 5D Mark II.

The rolling shutter is about the same as on the Sumix, if not slightly less. Both the cameras have contrasting advantages.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #525
Regular Crew

Daniel: What kind of contrasting advantages?

Additional Thought: Couldn't the computer rig be set up to record to SD cards or Compact Flash to reduce size and weight?
Shawn D. Caple is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods