DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Which adaptor to pick? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/105514-adaptor-pick.html)

Spike Spiegel October 12th, 2007 12:17 PM

Which adaptor to pick?

Not to stir anything up between the various 35 mm adaptors that are out there but I would like to see what the merits are of each choice, the Letus 35, the Redrock Micro, and any other brands that are out there. I'm not too knowledgeable about this field yet, but I'd like to learn more by purchasing one of these.

Optimally, i'd like a kit that would work with either a z1 or a xlh1. What would be the best option to pick guys? PS, i have a set of nikor's highest end set of SLR lenses, so i'm really itching to find a adaptor that'll let me use the most out of these lenses/cameras/setups. Thank you!

Steve Witt October 13th, 2007 12:00 PM

My answer is the Brevis made by Cinevate.

-Creates incredibly beautiful images (Demos & clips speak for themselves http://www.cinevate.com/website/index.php/demo/ )
-Modular & Upgradable (striving for perfection)
-Artistic versatility (choose image diffusers like paint from an artist's palette)
-Sleek and good looking design (its beautiful to look at http://www.cinevate.com/website/brevisdemo/ click on Launch 3Dview)
-Minimal light loss (industry leader)
-Micro Collimation of your lenses (great new feature)
-Did I mention how incredible the imagery is? (Wow!)

Any Questions?-ask'em right here http://cinevate.com/phpBB2/

Chris Barcellos October 13th, 2007 12:25 PM

I have the Letus35a. I also have a spinning adapter, self built.

Thus far, I give slight edge to spinning adapter for image, with the new Cinevate and Letus flip editions, and some of the images I have seen coming out of them, I think that has changed.

Having not used either, just based on what I have learned I give Cinevate the nod in finish and style, but I think Quyen's new Letus Extreme will give the best value and will rival any 35mm adapter image.

Steve Witt October 13th, 2007 12:44 PM

Yes the Letus extreme looks impressive too. But I believe in the not too distant future, Camcorder Manufacturers will have flip option features built in to the more popular camcorders. This would mean that any adapter sporting a flip at that point in time may shed it (unless that adapter is not modular in design, and it is a permanent fixture on that adapter)

To me that is like having a tv antenna permanenty fixed to your house as we now have moved to cable and/or satellite tv. Modular is good because as the improvements come and go, you can just add/remove those sections and always be the latest and greatest. This is another thing I liked about the Brevis.

Spike Spiegel October 16th, 2007 01:05 PM

Wow, lotta props for Brevis/Cinevate! I was actually leaning towards that more myself but its great to see that you guys like their products as well. THanks for the info!

Dmitry Yun October 17th, 2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Witt (Post 758391)
Yes the Letus extreme looks impressive too. But I believe in the not too distant future, Camcorder Manufacturers will have flip option features built in to the more popular camcorders. This would mean that any adapter sporting a flip at that point in time may shed it (unless that adapter is not modular in design, and it is a permanent fixture on that adapter)

To me that is like having a tv antenna permanenty fixed to your house as we now have moved to cable and/or satellite tv. Modular is good because as the improvements come and go, you can just add/remove those sections and always be the latest and greatest. This is another thing I liked about the Brevis.

OK but that would mean buying a new camcorder with the flip feature, wouldn't it? Same as your TV example you'd have to change cable providers accept it's not as expensive as purchasing a camcorder compared to a 300$ flip solution or just owning a flip at that already, counting on something to be made in the future is kind of an overkill when things need to get done today. I owned a Brevis and it is a very awesome adapter, light loss is fantastically unnoticeable and very ergonomically satisfying to look at, Would be a good choice I like the Extreme as well nice design so it's really up to you in the end, just pick one a go with it they're both awesome. Good luck.

Dennis Wood October 17th, 2007 03:01 PM

Dimitry, this is exactly why cinevate has a flip module that can be removed from the unit. This gives the shooter great flexibility with camera choices down the line. It also means that if you're shooting run n gun shoulder mounted with an external 7" monitor (rotated 180), you can remove the flip module for a significant weight savings. We were earlier quoting light savings by removing the flip, but the loss is so small that it's not significant (in the 1/4 stop range).

Steve Witt October 17th, 2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmitry Yun (Post 760413)
OK but that would mean buying a new camcorder with the flip feature, wouldn't it? Same as your TV example you'd have to change cable providers accept it's not as expensive as purchasing a camcorder compared to a 300$ flip solution or just owning a flip at that already, counting on something to be made in the future is kind of an overkill when things need to get done today. I owned a Brevis and it is a very awesome adapter, light loss is fantastically unnoticeable and very ergonomically satisfying to look at, Would be a good choice I like the Extreme as well nice design so it's really up to you in the end, just pick one a go with it they're both awesome. Good luck.

Dmitry, Flip is Hip.....but you don't have to change anything you don't want to. I just invert my images while shooting with my monitor and then in post. Get a Cinevate Flip module and be happy with your current camcorder. Years from now if you ever upgrade to a newer Godda-Have-it Whiz-Bang Camcorder that has this feature, get it and then lose the flip module instead of carrying the extra bulk. If you had a adapter with the flip integrated as one solid unit, you cannot do that. ie: The TV antenna is part of the building's structure and not to be removed because you can't. I was proud of my TV analogy and you ruined it.

P.S. The add/remove flip capability of an adapter is the last reason I would choose it over another, modular or not. I just think it is nice to be able to do that and adds more versatility. :)

Dmitry Yun October 17th, 2007 08:24 PM

I'd agree with that, sorry for runing you favoritest analogy hehe :)

Andrew Slankard October 26th, 2007 12:45 PM

I haven't had the privilege (yet) of using any of adapters, but just from an audiences stand point the Brevis appears to have the best cost/benefit ratio. It's very well price, offers great features and build quality and the end result, which is the most important, seems to be the best quality. I go to their sites forums every day looking for new sample footage cause I just want to imagine what I'll be able to produce when I can finally have my own. It's an amazing piece of equipment, so you can take that for what it's worth coming from me.

Colin Lahana November 2nd, 2007 06:53 AM

Canon EF lenses with H1

I am pretty confused (well, very confused) about adaptors. I have a number of Canon EF lenses including a 70-200 F2.8.

What is the best adaptor to use for these on the H1, is there a choice or does one just use the Canon EF/Xl adaptor?
If there is a choice what would you reccomend and why.

Thanks.

Josh Dahlberg November 2nd, 2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Lahana (Post 768896)
I am pretty confused (well, very confused) about adaptors. I have a number of Canon EF lenses including a 70-200 F2.8.

What is the best adaptor to use for these on the H1, is there a choice or does one just use the Canon EF/Xl adaptor?
If there is a choice what would you reccomend and why.

Thanks.

I have the XLH1 also, and have opted for the Letus option. Do a search, there are plenty of opinions posted on the various adaptors.

I just wanted to let you know that the Canon adaptor does not compare. It does not create the 35mm DOF control you are looking for, and - critically - maginfies the focal length many times over (7.2x from memory), so a 50mm prime lens becomes something >350mm.

Dennis Hingsberg November 5th, 2007 06:42 PM

So Spike, did you manage to settle on any of the adapters? Where has your quest of research led you?

Mark Kenfield November 13th, 2007 07:49 PM

Spike, which high-end Nikkor lenses do you have? Because most of the new lenses are the G-Type - which means there's no aperture ring on the lens itself, which in turn mean that you can't use them on any of the 35mm adapters

Chris Klidonas November 24th, 2007 04:05 PM

ok a few questions, can one use a Canon EOS lens on an adapter? there is no aperture ring on the EOS line lenses so does that mean it can be used but only wide open? and if so can you use the cameras iris to control light coming in and always have the wide open iris and shallowest depth of field? Which may make me go another route.

Next what is the real final cost of one of these units with say a normal setup less lenses, a rail setup, flip unit, and follow focus which I assume is very useful?

Which seems the best value? for use on a XHA1 and maybe a hv20 or hg10? Light loss is critical so the letus economy flips and is 1/2 stop and the brevis is also good on light but no flip yet? How much will the flip unit be? Any other options for less that are comparable to 1/2 stop of light loss and flip the image?

Which lenses are most useful? I am thinking a 28, 50 and 100mm and maybe a 135mm?

I am not sure the exact equivalent field of view, since 35mm still lenses are based on a 24x36mm frame that should differ from the field of view on 35mm cameras, are they real more like aps or 14x24mm since they go the other way on the film? so what exactly does that mean does it mean that a 50mm on a 35mm film still body is the same in the height as the 35mm motion camera is in width? or very close given the slight audio track off to the side of the film?

Anyway to figure this out easily so I can get a feel for what is really needed in lenses if I get an adapter?

And how much more work is using one in the real world? You will always need someone to work the focus and that is critical? do you need a HD monitor even if its no bigger than a 7inch? or will a lower price monitor like this http://varizoom.com/products/monitors/vztft7.html be OK?