DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Any interest in a Letus Extreme/ Brevis/ M2 Shootout? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/106702-any-interest-letus-extreme-brevis-m2-shootout.html)

Phil Bloom October 28th, 2007 06:35 AM

Any interest in a Letus Extreme/ Brevis/ M2 Shootout?

I will be getting my Letus Extreme tomorrow which will mean I have three of the main 35mm adaptors.

I did a shootout about 10 months ago between the M2, Brevis and SGPPro. If there is enough interest I will do a new thorough comparison between the three adaptors that I own. As I don't own an SGpro I can't really include it this time...Much like the last one this would be real world, not in a lab.

The Brevis has two diffusers that I will use in the shootout. The CF1L and CF3L. I would love to use the new Brevis flip as apparently if offers better edge to edge sharpness, but as it isn't out yet I will probably have to test them as is...

Let me know. Oh and if anyone in London wants to come along and see them when I do it let me know.

Michael Chenoweth October 28th, 2007 07:59 AM

I'd love to see it, Phil -

Have you talked to Wayne Kinney about an SGPro to use in the shootout? Or to Dennis Wood about a flip adapter for the Brevis? - I think there would be numbers of people interested in this latest shootout especially with the new Extreme and newer flip options on the other adapters. Maybe the manufacturers would be willing to get you samples on the stuff you're lacking...

mike

Sean Seah October 28th, 2007 10:51 AM

Wow wow.. I would LOVE to see it Phil. Thks for the great initiative!

Chris Barcellos October 28th, 2007 11:26 AM

Absolutely, Phil. Would love to see what your results are.

Leo Versola October 28th, 2007 12:10 PM

I'm getting my Extreme tomorrow as well and will be putting it through the paces straight away.

A thorough comparison of the adapters at this point would be fantastic and very well received by many readers, myself included. Not many folks have the luxury of having multiple adapters in their possession to test uniformly in a variety of situations.

If only I was on your side of the pond, I'd love to tag along...

Cheers!

Phil Bloom October 28th, 2007 12:42 PM

Well Leo if you buy me a plane ticket am more than happy to conduct the test in San Francisco! But, seriously. I will message Dennis Wood and see how long it will be before I can get my hands on the new Brevis Flip.

The SGPro is trickier, despite Wayne being local he doesn't really have spare SGPros to borrow. I almost bought one a while back but the wait at that point was too long. I think that has improved now but what is great about the three adaptors that I have is you can order all three and have them within a matter of 2 to 3 weeks. A year and a half ago it was a wait of 2 to 3 months. Things are changing so much it's great!

David Chia October 28th, 2007 12:56 PM

That is great, really hope to see how the Extreme performs with the new G.G The few stills around are showing flare and ghosting on brights lights, I hope yours doesn't have that problem.

It's a shame that you don't have a SGPRO and the Brevis flip unit yet. It would be really interesting to see the SGPRO fitted with the BREVIS flip unit in Action. Especially on high shutter speed. I think it would be a great combo.

Edge to Edge sharpness with flip image and able to handle high shutter speed. I think it is a killer combo

When will you be doing it, I might try to get a cheap flight to come and see it from Munich

Phil Bloom October 28th, 2007 01:46 PM

Is the brevis flip usable on the sgpro?

David Chia October 28th, 2007 02:55 PM

I was told that the flip unit will work on any adapter that has a 72mm mount. Ask Dennis about. He said it will work with any 3rd party adapter. That makes it even more interesting. Because the unit is just a piece by it self. And when use with the older Brevis, you don't need the spacer and achromat lens of the Brevis anymore. Hence making it will be pretty close in length compared to current Brevis setup with a spacer attached to the camera.

Phil Bloom October 28th, 2007 03:10 PM

that's impressive. From what I understand though the Brevis flip improves the image of the Brevis. The extra spacing brings true edge to edge sharpness and of course the design works better than adding a flip to a spinner. Meaning it will look more like the Letus extreme and even the new Movietube Jnr.

Tomorrow i get my hands on the Letus extreme, I am hoping for great things and this is from somehow who thought the letus FE was unusable!

David Chia October 28th, 2007 03:25 PM

Great, Looking forward to your clip of the Extreme. But do a shootout when you get the the Flip unit from Dennis, I think everybody will be really interested in knowing how the 2 match up. And maybe you can invite Wayne to bring his SGPRO since he doesn't have any spare. Why not use his, but this time make sure he brings the nikon mount along. I'm sure he would not want to lose out on showcasing and matching his adapter to the others...

I think the brevis flip unit might also work with the M2 that you have.

Dennis Wood October 28th, 2007 10:22 PM

The Cinevate flip module will ship with highly engineered optics and the combination should improve edge to edge sharpness on anything being used with it. Because it was designed for full frame (and well beyond!) performance with zero zoom factor on the Brevis, I'm confident it will work with everything else out there that typically offers less field of view. Light loss will not be noticeable at less then 1/5 stop. The latest footage we've taken with the Brevis/flip combination is without question the sharpest/cleanest footage we've ever posted. The stock XHA1 lens is actually being cleaned up significantly with respect to CA by being fed the adapter image...a big surprise in the lab.

There is a major review in the works of all of these adapters at dvxuser which is happening in early December. Phil, I think folks would still be interested in the the review using the non-flipped Brevis though...particularly as you've got the latest CF1Le and CF3Le there. These are the latest products of our ongoing CINEFUSE R&D program.

Phil Bloom October 30th, 2007 03:01 AM

Got the extreme yesterday. it appears to be very well made and it does weigh a lot. I will do some test with it today.

Dennis Hingsberg November 5th, 2007 12:49 PM

Phil, (aka 35mm Adapter collector)

Would it be possible for you to shoot a color chart (or something else that demonstrates many variations of the gray scale) with white exposed at 75% - 100% with what ever adapters you currently own and then post results?

I'm noticing more and more as I look at 35mm adpater sample videos that whites are hot and seem blown, it would be nice to see as a comparison how each adapter handles the whole contrast range.

Could you do that? I'll send you 5 quid for a beer! (is that enough for a beer?)